Are alcohol free drinks cheating?

@Rod are alcohol free drinks available at most bars, cafes etc where you are? What’s your plan if you’re at a bar/party and there are no alcohol free options? At this early stage of my sobriety, I avoid those situations as I won’t drink non alcoholic drinks as they are too similar to the alcoholic ones. Temptation is too strong for me. I get the need to blend in with drinkers at parties, even if it’s to keep them off your back about sobriety. What if someone offers to buy you a drink? That may work against trying to blend in.

1 Like

That’s my point of view too @Ray_M_C_Laren . I don’t believe I could resist moving from non to alcoholic drinks. Additionally, I never really drank for the taste, but for a reason or to get drunk. So, for myself, I don’t see the point in drinking something that almost looks, tastes and costs the same as alcoholic versions…may as well have the real thing. This is why I abstain from both versions. What do you mean when you say ‘my guys’? Do you facilitate meetings?

1 Like

If you highlight the text you want, there will be a “Quote” button below the highlighted text. When you click the quote button, the quote will show in your reply

2 Likes

I don’t think so, as long as it’s truly 0.00%. But I haven’t tasted any kind of alcohol free beer that actually tastes good.

3 Likes

Thank you for your clear and prompt response. I feel a little less of a newbie now.

2 Likes

I did try some non alcoholic beer and gin when I was first trying to get sober and they were pretty good versions but I ended up feeling ripped off as there was no effect and went back to the real thing. When I was finally beaten enough I didn’t even bother with faking it and certainly wasn’t near a pub/bar for a long time.
Each to their own but for me now several years down the track I’ve seen many people fall into the same trap and yet others have a non alcoholic drink when out after years of sobriety but for the most part it’s safer to steer clear of them in early sobriety :nerd_face:

2 Likes

I agree @Rob8603. It wouldn’t be alcohol free with alcohol ingredient. Once, I accidentally tried an alcohol free beer as it was next to the alcoholic version in the fridge. I didn’t realise the difference until the person whose beer it was pointed it out. That said, I will steer clear either way.

Been going to meetings for over 37 years now and sponsoring for over 36 when i got sober no internet or AF drinks ,

2 Likes

I wouldn’t call AF drinks ‘cheating’ and I know they help some people through tricky social situations when they quit.

For me, I don’t like the taste of beer, so I wouldn’t drink the AF version of it. Some wines would taste good and pair well with cheese and all that… but so does a coke. I find some foods taste better with a soft drink than they ever did with wine. Normally I stick to sparkly water, but when I’m out I’ll treat myself to either a Coke max or a sugary lemonade. (Less of the sugary lemonade these days).

Alchohol free radlers (AF beer+lemonade) I do enjoy on occasion. But only when the place I’m in doesn’t serve nicer beverages.

Mocktails… I was never a cocktail drinker, so the rare Virgin Pina Colada in the summer is a nice treat. High in sugar tho, so it’s something I’ll have to be careful with when sitting by a beach in a few months time.

At home, it’s usually sparkly water and camomille tea at night, but when I’m out it can be tricky figuring out what I fancy drinking that isn’t water.

Dunno, the way I see it, if the AF drink makes you crave the real thing… it’s probably a terrible idea. If you want it for the taste or to navigate a rare social occasion, then it shouldn’t be too much of an issue.

3 Likes

Right!?! Lol. The thrill haha. definitely mixed it up, and again not for the feeling or the want to get drunk faster, just for the variety and the taste. I really didnt like the taste of alcohol. Vodka or rum cocktails, cherry vodka diet coke and cherries, mimosas, margaritas, wines, ciders, hard seltzers, mixed shots (like lemon drops, white tea shots, etc).

1 Like

What a truly remarkable run at sobriety and helping others to do the same. I too am older than the internet. You must’ve seen some changes in sober support over the years.

1 Like

Your view that soft drinks pair better with cheese than some wines actually resonates with me. I’m far from a sweet tooth, but I occasionally don’t mind a little soft drink to wash down food. Wine was for me to get drunk, regardless of taste. I’ve never tried AF wine, only a beer. The beer tasted so similar to the alcoholic version that I personally would not be able to drink it today without temptation to “have just one” alcohol beer. These days I drink mostly tap water, tea, coffee and sparkling water. To be honest, I’ve always considered water to be my favourite drink, even through alcoholism. This is handy as it is convenient, hydrating, and refreshing. While I steer clear of AF drinks due to temptation, I see your point that it can be an alternative for those who like the taste, or use it to blend in.

1 Like

Talk about a thrill seeker with a buffet of booze. Seems like we are similar in some respects, but we differ on taste vs feeling. You say you didn’t enjoy the taste of alcohol. Was that the reason behind the variety of sweet tasting choices? I didn’t like the taste either, just the effect. I often pretended to enjoy the taste, but I only wanted to drink more for the effect. My tolerance was built so high that I could mix drinks all night and not be hungover the next day. This was a terrible ability, as I drank to excess without a care. Until now. I’ve put the money in the dukebox, and it’s time to dance to the tune. Aches, pains, illness, conditions are some of the tunes that play through my body and mind. Now it’s time to dance to a different more positive beat. Sobriety, let’s gooo!

Reading everything here, it’s so personal. My DOC was wine. NA wine and mocktails (or any drink in a fancy glass) make me crave the real thing.
I wasn’t a beer drinker, so I feel safe with NA beer. I see it as a soft drink and I don’t feel a link with alcohol. But again, it’s personal.

Be honest with yourself if you get any cravings from NA drinks. Better safe than sorry, it’s not worth the risk.

5 Likes

Yip no smoking now in my early days had to go outside to breath then lol smoky joes us alkies like the cigs ,no mobiles so phone box on corner was our mobiles lol m hard core sobriety ,

2 Likes

It’s great that you are attuned to your limitations with AF drinks. I agree that the choice to drink them is personal, guided by your knowledge of what you can handle or not. I believe that AF drinks would lead me to alcohol, so I choose to avoid them. As you mentioned, 'better safe than sorry, it’s not worth the risk '.

2 Likes

You certainly are a beacon of sobriety. I too smoked cigs back when you could do so in pubs, clubs and restaurants. They went hand in hand with alcohol and other substances for me. Thankfully, I have quit cigs and drugs, with alcohol being the most recent and final vice to drop. Your mention of phone booths took me back to drunkenly trying to steal coins from them and getting caught by my dad’s friends who told on me, resulting in a swift kick up the bum. Kept drinking though.

1 Like

Was At a old timers meeting last night subject of AF drinks came up . when the brewers were making AF drink people us Alkies never crossed there mind it was brewed because social drinkers were getting hip on cutting back on the real stuff and AF was the new fad . these people dont even relate to our illness it was loosing out on the product so a differnt approach was needed . If you sat at a table and drunk AF and the rest of the table didnt youl find after a while they started to laugh and joke and be silly and you would feel out of place , AF dosnt benifit us because theres no effect may aswell take a Banana or choc bar get more from them if you have a problem with booze last place you want to be is in a pub especially in early sobriety there are plenty of sober places you can socialize i know im not a social drinker im a Alcoholic

3 Likes

I don’t think it’s cheating, if the “non-alcoholic” drink is really non-alcoholic. I’d say the danger is in the temptation these drinks represent.

My experience with “non-alcoholic” beers and wines was all they ever did was make me want the real thing, which most often led to me moving on to the real thing.

One of the things I’ve done since getting sober 6+ years ago was to avoid non-alcoholic beers and wines. I worry that tasting them would tempt me to want the real thing.

Of course, your mileage may vary.

4 Likes

That approach by brewers to making AF drinks doesn’t surprise me at all. When the bottom line is affected, a solution will be figured out. But at the expense of recovering alcoholics like ourselves who may be tempted to relapse through drinking them. Feeling out of place in social drinking situations would also encourage an alcoholic to drink. I would honestly prefer a banana or chocolate over AF drinks, as they taste better. While I avoid bars and pubs, I am yet to attend sober social settings, besides with family and friends. That’s the way I like it!

2 Likes