Are alcohol free drinks cheating?

I was brainstorming drinks (besides sparkling water etc) to have at home or out when I thought about drinking alcohol free beer or wine. Would this be considered cheating sobriety? How likely are alcohol free drinks to cause a relapse? Is it even recommended to drink them? I’m not keen on drinking them, just food for thought.

5 Likes

I steer clear myself. It’s just not worth the risk.

But is it cheating if you do? :thinking:

I wouldn’t say it’s cheating, but maybe more like pacifying your habit, and therein lies the risk, you’re keeping the habit alive longer by pacifying it. Some people can handle that, some can’t; not worth rhe risk to find out which one I am.

9 Likes

Thanks for your insight @HoofHearted. I too side with caution, choosing to abstain from alcohol free drinks. I like your description of drinking them as pacifying the habit. Something I do not want to do. In my case, it would be a gateway drink back to alcohol and I would rather keep that gate welded shut. On a funny side note, I chuckle when I see your user name as I remember a horse racing with that name and the commentator excitedly repeating it left me in stitches​:racehorse::bubbles:

3 Likes

I dont think so. I actually do alot of sparkling water, sometimes mixes with different juices and things and for super bowl I tried non alcoholic wine for the first time. I liked having something different. Some people say they used to drink for the feeling / the purpose of getting drunk and not the taste so that wouldn’t help them, for me its more about the social and emotional aspect. I used to drink for many reasons (celebrations, bad days, events, etc) but 9 times out of 10 it was with other people and that was what I enjoyed more than anything, not the alcohol or getting drunk, so it doesnt even really matter whats in my cup. I did enjoy the wine and it helped take the pressure off early in by sobriety during a big social event.

5 Likes

On another note my husband asked if he should buy non alcoholic wine for the house and I told him no. It would be more for a one off if Im feeling like having it, but not something I want to drink regularly.

4 Likes

@FinallyTime it’s good to get a perspective that’s different to mine. Everyone’s sobriety journey is unique. It seems like you used to drink in moderation in social settings most of the time. Did that include when having a bad day? For me, a bad day or any day, meant drinking excessively or at least more than in moderation. What pressure do you feel in social situations that even an alcohol free drink helps to relieve? What other drinks have worked for you as well? Due to my drinking to get drunk, not for the taste, I stay away from alcohol free drinks, as I’m afraid they will send me to relapse.

Yes, it absolutely did include bad days. Id reach out and connect with my GFs to go out for happy hours. For most people that would consist of a few drinks. For me itd be more like 6-10. Wine or cocktails, then shots, then poor decisions. The pressure is more like wanting to engage with the group, be part of the festivities, the life of the party etc. I was often times the one that after a few drinks would engage the group to take more shots, or go to the next bar, or stay out etc. I can still do that even when Im drinking water lol, but I also like different things. I absolutely love mocktails and always try new stuff.

1 Like

Just trying to understand here…a combination of 6-10 different drinks would certainly have put me in a drunk state, but ready to party. It would have turned me into a party animal too! With your ability to party on water, what kept you from only drinking water or other drinks, socially, instead of alcohol? I definitely enjoyed the lowered inhibitions and ‘confidence’ I got from being drunk. Now I realise I was unable to deal with my emotions without alcohol. Time for me to feel again.

I think I used to look at it as a way for me to relax, unwind, bond, let loose, enjoy my time etc, thought that I could have “more” fun, but in reality things ended up just being worse. Poor food choices, saying things Id regret or not remember, driving afterwards, waking up feeling gross, overall not good for general health.

2 Likes

It’s totally a personal choice but for me I never once drank for the taste I drank for every other reason and maybe I would bullshit how nice a certain gin tasted when is was mostly the fruit in it not the gin etc.
I don’t know about where you are but the non alcoholic drinks here are designed to look and taste like their alcoholic version and cost roughly the same price, I’d rather spend my money on not pretending and just enjoy myself :woman_shrugging:
Good luck with your choice and sobriety :pray:

4 Likes

This topic comes up allot
If it’s questionable, maybe you have the answer

2 Likes

Those are all good reasons to give sobriety a red hot go. I can honestly say I check all those boxes. That is why the temptation created by alcohol free drinks means I keep away from them. Not knocking anyone who drinks them, we are all on our own path.

Thanks for your input @J_Lo_Ste. As a newbie here, I am interested in hearing other views and advice. Fair point about the answer staring me in the face. For me the thread is more to get a feel for what other sober people think, as I have no intention of drinking alcohol free drinks. Too much temptation for me. They are sold here in Australia looking, tasting and costing almost exactly the same as the real deal. I figure why not drink the real thing if the only real difference is the alcohol content. This solidifies my decision to stay away from both.

2 Likes

Definitely. Agreed, its almost the opposite for me, if I dont have many options, I feel like I’ll end up getting bored and thatll make me want to drink more. Another issue I think is being told no often makes me want to do things more :confused:. Even if Im the one setting the guidelines haha.

1 Like

i tell my guys to stay away from AF drinks , over the decades ive seen them lead back to the real stuff

2 Likes

Hahaha classic!!

1 Like

I drink alcohol free beers if I go out or two a party. By drinking them it keeps my hands busy and I am not tempted to buy the 4% beers.

• you don’t stand out in the crowd if poured into a beer glass. They actually taste pretty good when very cold
3 Likes

@BJM I’m in the same boat. The reason or numbing over taste were what kept me drinking. Although, I often pretended I enjoyed the taste of wine etc to mask the fact that I just wanted to finish a bottle or more and get drunk. Those close to me knew and commented about my drinking ‘ability’, as my tolerance meant I could get drunk with no hangover. This was a curse in disguise as it encouraged me to drink excessively. I guess I was a high functioning alcoholic, common here in Australia. Like yourself, I stay away from alcohol free drinks as they are too similar to the alcoholic versions and would lead me astray.

3 Likes

I see what you mean about boredom. I too liked having a variety, after all it is the spice of life. What was your drink of choice? Or did you mix it up? I generally liked beer, but moved on to spirits and wine to get drunk faster. The alcohol free beers taste pretty similar to the alcoholic versions here in Australia, but I don’t think I could handle the temptation to drink the real stuff. Like yourself, being told ‘no’ is like a challenge accepted in my books. Especially if it seems exciting or enjoyable. I wonder if that will still be the case now that I’ve begun my sober journey.

1 Like

It sure is! I watched it several times with mates, we laughed till we cried. Best stomach pain ever! By the way, how do you embed a snippet from another post like you did here?

1 Like