Are there different levels of addiction?

I’m trying to learn more about myself and my relationship with alcohol. I have never had any type of withdrawals or anything, more so just drink to escape boredom. However I do feel like anytime I do overdo it with alcohol, I feel like it’s really bad :-1: how do I determine where I’m at. Obviously something is up if I do try to change and I fail often. I’m back to square one. Some words of encouragement please :pray: I just want to stay alcohol free.

5 Likes

In my own personal opinion, addiction is addiction. There may be slight differences but overall they’re connected to the way the brain functions.

An inability to say no to our DOC at some level.

It’s comforting to me to know that I’m not abnormal. There are sooooo many people going through similar situations and circumstances and each of us do it differently and at different paces. Though that is true, the similarities between us are astounding.

You are making the right decision by being here and choosing you.

8 Likes

You made the right decision. If you tend to believe there is an issue with alcohol, i would assume that there is an issue. If nothing changes it will only get worse. So right decision. Keep up the work to stay sober. It will get easier

4 Likes

As some people here have said, “addiction is addiction,” and I agree to a certain extent. At any time a substance impairs our daily functioning, whether that’s relational, financial or occupational, then an individual might have an addiction. If a person chooses to purchase substances over other needs/things such as food, gas, insurance, rent, etc. That person might have an addiction.

When you ask if there’s any difference between people with addictions, the answer is yes. Alcohol use and substance use disorders (AUD/SUD) vary in severity and this usually determines the level of care a person will require to maintain sobriety.

*side note: maintenance of sobriety depends on other factors, such as personal motivation, support systems in place, environment, etc…

For instance, if someone has an AUD and it’s so severe that they will have grand mal seizures without alcohol, they will require the highest level of care, which is a detox program. A level down would be a residental program which last from one month, three months, or longer. A level below that would be a partial program/getting a therapist who specializes in addiction recovery, etc.

At the end of the day, all you really need to assess is your own addiction and what you need to maintain sobriety. That can be a 12 step program, individual or group therapy, or any of the other things that I’ve mentioned. I hope that answered your question. Be well!

6 Likes

Thank you for the kind/wise words of support :pray:

1 Like

For sure, I’m here. :slight_smile:

I would agree with this entirely.

I’d also add that for many people alcoholism is progressive. I know it has been for me. Sounds like you’re reaching out here before you’re too far down the spiral of addiction which is great, but the fact that you’re here indicates that you’re on that path. Best stay off it!

1 Like

There are lots of books about addiction that you can read, that will help you learn about alcohol and addiction.

Resources for our recovery

I agree that addiction is addiction. If you can’t control it and it is damaging your life, then you are addicted. The amounts of damage can vary, maybe it means you turn up to work hungover, maybe it means you can’t keep a job at all. The amounts of alcohol can also vary. As someone else also said, it is progressive and those amounts and damage will increase over time. I am glad you are here to put on the brakes now. :purple_heart:

1 Like

Totally there with u i didnt drink everyday day but when i drink its usually around 20 something drinks in a short period of time. I cant even taste it anymore. But yeah i started to see signs i didnt like so i researched things. Sounds like i know where u are coming from. So i recommend u watch alcohol and your health by andrew huberman. I was shocked how well he knows his stuff.

2 Likes