As a sober stand up comedian is it ok to joke about drugs?

Fish Tough. I commented on a video. It should be easy to find. I’ve been experimenting with YouTube Shorts and its brought a lot of traffic to my channel resulting in more subscribers. I with I had done it sooner.

1 Like

Cant forget Richard Pryor. Him making fun of lighting himself on fire smoking crack. :rofl: :rofl:

George Carlin
Steve O

4 Likes

Subbed! Oh cool man I have been seeing people start posting more “shorts” not sure what it is or how to post em but I guess I should if you say it helped your channel out. I’ll look into getting some up. Thanks!

1 Like

You can edit them the same as any video. I crop my clips to keep whatever my short is about in the center. I use an app called Youcut that does the final cropping for phone sized videos. I could use it for the whole process, but I prefer to do it on my PC.

I find that my 15 second clips get the most traffic. Shorts are YouTubes way of competing with TikTok.
If I post several then some get overlooked. I have been doing one a day recently and its been working good.

My videos blow up for an hour or two and result in three to 15 subscribers lately. Its resulted in my full length videos getting a lot more views too.

1 Like
  1. It has to be a good joke.
  2. The only ones that are entitled to make jokes about using are (former) users. They are also the only ones that can make really good jokes about the subject. Just like only gay folks can really joke about gays, people of colour about themselves, Jews about Jews, etc.
  3. In that respect I am reminded of George Carlin talking about comedians making jokes about underdogs, like poor people, drug users, gays, etcetera. Which is wrong and not funny by definition. Humour should be about yourself or about those above you. So joke away but please let it be funny!
  4. Richard Pryor yes! Robin Williams!!!
3 Likes

:rofl::joy::rofl::joy::rofl::joy::rofl::joy::rofl::joy::rofl::joy::rofl::joy::grimacing::grin::rofl::joy:

1 Like

I have to say that yes please bring more laughter. For me, being able to laugh about paranoia I experienced using meth, DUI while drinking allowed me to laugh because I was finally safe from it. I can laugh at those (at one time really disturbing) lifestyles because I’m fucking relieved- any humor you can bring to it would be epic. I for one would enjoy it immensely-deeply and would appreciate you. While there may be some out there doing jokes on it, I’d like to see more for sure. Thanks for doin you and admire it that you hit up the community🤘🏻

3 Likes

Yes- anybody who can rip theirselves is a hit in my book :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I’d find it funny if a stand up comedian was talking about alcoholism, it may even help somebody who is struggling :grin:

4 Likes

I think it’s amusing that we have a 5 day weekend coming up here, perfect for a binge. And now that I’m working on being sober, its funny what used to excite me. Humuor has its benefits

3 Likes

Yes. In comedy nothing is off limits if you say It right and it’s funny.

However, if it’s a trigger personally I would avoid the topic

2 Likes

3 Likes

And! Laughing at the way I hold onto some things or are effected by some things in recovery would be absolute fire to hear in a comedic setting.

2 Likes

Good Question? Good Joke , So here’s my take !

I think you can do the Joke but now you can do a spin off.

You said if you have an 8 ball in your pocket you’re a winner , some people may laugh

But make sure point out If you have an 8 ball in your pocket your a looser , and Joke about all the dumb shit people dumb using drugs and alcohol

2 Likes

Watch “chris farley “i’m not drunk!”” on YouTube

3 Likes

To me that almost seemed like he was not enjoying doing that I could be wrong

1 Like

yes ive seen plenty of stand up comedians joke about their prior drug or alcohol use the point is you dont glorify it you are making fun of how ridiculous and stupid it was. to me at least comedy can deal with all kinds of uncomfortable topics sometimes thats the point

2 Likes

Some of the best and funniest comedy shows I have been to are at NA conventions. No holds barred jokes about it and the room exploded with laughter because we had all been there, done that.

2 Likes

Lots of top comics are sober.

Nikki Glaser, rosebud Baker, Chris Delia, Greg Fitzsimmons, Marc Marin, Zach galifanakis, Craig Ferguson, Bobby Lee, Theo von, Jane Lynch, maria bamford. I’m a regular at the comedy club and love the jokes about drinking and drugs from sober comics. It adds levity to an otherwise dark subject

3 Likes