At Patrick's Weekend

St Patrick’s Weekend is a big one… I’m Irish and live on the west coast of Ireland. Drinking for some was an Olympic sport this weekend. Free reign to absolutely rip into the stout and any other alcoholic beverage within arm’s reach.

As I sit here on a bank holiday Tuesday ready for work I’m thankful I abstained. 137 days and feeling all the better for it. I know people up and down the country are in the absolute horrors right now. I would have been one of them in the past. Instead I’m flicking through pics of my family and me enjoying the weekend and I have no regrets.
Much love to all weather you tamed the beast or not this weekend, keep fighting :pray:t3:

21 Likes

Well done for that Dave!! :facepunch:
Here in the Netherlands we have “Carnaval”. It’s 4 days of drinking day and night. I must say in the beginning of my sobriaty I could be jealous if I saw people drinking and having fun on the streets. Now I have more sober days I see the other side of that medal more: vomit on the streets, people in the hospitals with injuries because of fights ore falling when drunk, alcohol poisoning, etc.
I think I have new glasses to look trough, sober glasses :nerd_face:

5 Likes

Feeling thankful about to is the best way to be.
I’m on the other side on the world and we celebrate St Patrick’s Day because of the large amount of ex pats here, it’s now a lot of drunk Aussies wearing and vomiting green with no idea who St Patrick was or are religious in anyway, it’s a real shame that our culture is to binge drink for any reason possible and I’m grateful that today I’m no longer part of the mess :pray:

6 Likes

Yea and he was born in Wales ?
In 387 AD , a saint was born in Banwen, high in Wales’ Dulais Valley. He would become the Celtic world’s most iconic figurehead. Every March, he is celebrated in towns and cities across the world. To his adopted Irish home and kin, he is known simply as Saint Patrick

3 Likes

I was named after St Patrick! Yes, and the world over, St Patrick’s Day is celebrated in pretty shallow ways. Haul out the shamrocks and leprechauns! Serve green beer! Green milkshakes at McDonald’s! Trot out the corned beef and cabbage! Die rivers green, wear ridiculous outfits, drink and drink.

Our local public tv station even broadcast the St Patrick’s Parade in Dublin live this year!

3 Likes

Super happy for you!! Way to go on your 137 days!!!

1 Like

Since March 16 is my sobriety date, I have a different sober view of St Patty’s Day when it rolls around each year.

Even back when I was drinking, it was amateur’s day anyway. Sorta like New Year’s Eve, Not a day or evening for real drinkers.

3 Likes