Attending AA..:

How many times a week did you go and did you go to different areas?

I’m looking for some advice and obviously this will be personal preference but I don’t want to over kill either.

8 Likes

They recommend 90 in 90 days. Go as often as you need to and attend different meetings until you find one you’re comfortable in. Best wishes to you.

6 Likes

I don’t go as much anymore since moving to a diff province. But, in the beginning of my recovery journey I attended NA, CA, and AA and I went to 90 mtgs in 90 days as suggested to me. In fact, it was more like 180 in 90 days (2 mtgs a day). That was bcuz I had the time to do that (I worked for myself at that time so I made my own schedule) and also bcuz I really needed it. I hid in the rooms tho cuz I literally didn’t trust myself to not use. But… as time went on, I relaxed abit on mtgs. I attend online mtgs now every so often. I’ll admit not everyday. But they are so helpful! And I really miss my mtgs back home

2 Likes

After my last relapse 7 months ago, I made the decision to attend NA nightly (back then was all on Zoom). I had no job so really it was the only commitment I had. Could have gone twice a day or more if I needed to but once seemed to be enough.

Now I’ve got a job again I go to about 4 meetings a week.

2 Likes

They say 90 meetings in 90 days. Not a bad suggestion.

I actually “only” did 4-5 meetings per week my first several months. Still kind of a lot, imho.

I did find it helpful for shifting my thinking toward recovery and growth, while also having lots of time to get to know the fellowships that were out here and make some new friends in recovery.

I was an isolating alcoholic. Dragging my butt to a meeting most nights really helped to shake off a lot of old behavior. Now after 3+ years i do 2-3 per week and go more often if I’m feeling in a funk.

4 Likes

I went on my days off, after work if it was a hard day. If I wasnt in a good frame of mind, I might hit a couple meetings a day.

2 Likes

This is what my schedule has looked like as well. When I feel funky, I go more often. I meet with my sponsor at least once a week as well too. I honestly figure if I spent every day drinking, I can’t use the excuse, “I don’t have time”. It’s really only a few hours out of the 168 hours we have in a week and keeping myself in line with my recovery is absolutely worth that time. 90 in 90 is a pretty standard suggestion in my meetings for newcomers but many who have decades of sobriety have spoken about going to 2 or 3 meetings in a day at times, especially in the beginning. :heart:

3 Likes

I’ve been going 5-6 times a week for the last few weeks.
I always go at night because that’s when I used to drink so it’s a better way to spend my time.
I find it very helpful for my sobriety. If nothing else, it keeps me distracted and I’ve made friends.

5 Likes

For myself I attended meetings once a week but this was because there was only one a week for my addiction in my city. However - I did supplement my meetings with non-addiction-specific meetings (SMART Recovery) so I could have more meetings per week. When I did that, I found it helpful. I didn’t continue it, to be fair, but I can say that when I did do that, I felt more grounded and stable. There’s something about meetings that gets it all out of my head, and in the open; I feel like I’m seen and understood, and that squirrel isn’t running around up there in my mind.

There’s one thing I know for sure. A meeting is a safe place, meaning, it’s a place for me where I will not use. I like that. I find it reassuring. It’s also free - I don’t have to pay a dime to attend, which makes it more doable.

1 Like

That was a big thought for me too. If I spent every entire night getting drunk, surely I could take an hour to go sit in a meeting instead!

Then come home, have a cup of tea, and go to bed sober. :sunglasses:

4 Likes

I used to go once or twice a week….two different types of meetings……

But since COVID I haven’t gone at all. I’m not comfortable attending an online meeting in my house with family walking around.

2 Likes

2-4 a week. I like meetings.

2 Likes

I go to as many as I can and I do all the fellowships in all the areas!!!

NA is my homegroup but I also enjoy CA and AA meetings. I find roadtrip meetings really fun, especially if you have other members to travel with. You can make a Friday or Satuday night of it, “Meal and a Meeting”.

2 Likes

When I first got sober I was so physically and mentally exhausted and wore out that the only thing I did was go to meetings all day. There was a clubhouse pretty close to me. That’s just what I had to do it first. It seems like it comes in waves and you just can’t let your guard down. There is many ways to recover. When I first got sober going that much to meetings just helped me recover that’s the only way I can explain it. I met a lot of friends and got a lot of phone numbers, a lot of times I would be getting off work and I would be biking faster to the meeting than I did to work. I actually like going all the time. Right now I have 10 months. I attend or do Zoom at least three times a week. I have a morning routine that I follow every single morning. The most important thing is praying to whatever you believe in. Water before anything. I try to make it realistic goals for the day. I tried to help other people. I try to stay in today and when the day is done I review. I have become really gung ho about recovery and super Psyched about being sober. Literally whatever life you want to have you can.

2 Likes

Used to go 2 or 3 times a week when I was new

I now go to one meeting a week

My sponsor is over 20 years sober and goes 4 times a week

Each to their own :blush:

I go about 3 times a week. More if my schedule allows. My first personal experience of my first meeting is on one of my pervious posts. Not sure if you can go on my profile and see it or not.

Different things work for different people. Years ago after doing my 90/90 I attended at minimum 2 meetings per week. Today I attend 0. The social anxiety is very overwhelming. I am 3 years sober today and part of me wants to get back to meetings but my area doesn’t offer much. I feel it’s absolutely helpful to have a supportive, understanding community to be involved in. Whatever that looks like to you.

1 Like

I live in a very rural area, there only a couple meetings within driving distance for me. They both meet on Sat :confounded:. Zoom meetings have been my go to. 90 in 90 seemed overkill to me but whatever it takes for you to stay sober, do it.

2 Likes

Have you tried online meetings or In The Rooms? I find both very helpful

I haven’t yet. Counseling, reading recovery material and now this group…

1 Like