Avoiding Alcohol In Social Settings

How do you avoid relapse in social settings where alcohol is all around you, everyone is drinking and keep offering you too, even if they know you do not want to join. How complicated is it to keep your social life alive while managing to stay sober?

3 Likes

Simplest solution is to don’t go to those occasions. If you absolutely MUST go, arrive late and leave early. Keep a glass os soda or water in your hand at all times.

If people ask, say I’m not drinking today or bad for my ulcer. Don’t give complicated answers. They really don’t care anyway. Walk away for a bathroom break if someone does gets pushy on the subject.

Have your phone loaded with sober contacts to call for support. Know that you will be seeing your support group asap after event is over. Keep your sobriety chip in a pocket that you can access easily.

7 Likes

Those are actually great advices, thank you.
I have noticed that people (even close friends) have hard time understanding that alcohol can be a huge problem for someone and they start looking at you weird for not drinking unless it’s a physical health issue.

Not going to such events can be challenging though since alcohol is the most socially acceptable drug and available everywhere we look.

4 Likes

https://holidappy.com/party-planning/Excuses-for-Not-Drinking

4 Likes

Some great ideas over there :smile: thanks!

1 Like

Was told in early sobriety to avoid places were drink was being served till i got strong enough in my sobriety and then i went with a sober buddy who was in my home group . wish you well

2 Likes

I avoided almost anywhere with alcohol for the first eight months, now i still rarely go where alcohol is in abundance.

If i am near drink i have a pre planned excuse to leave, normally dog related “got to leave its time to walk the dog” is never really questioned, or drive then no one should question you not drinking.

If people get pushy about you having a drink just talk to someone else!

3 Likes

I just lie straight to their face without blinking an eye. I’m an alcoholic, so I’m very, very good at lying to others and of course to myself.

Them: “Here, I brought you a shot of cognac!”

Me: “Sorry, I don’t drink alcohol. I am permanently on medicine to control my psoriasis. That medicine prevents me from being able to consume alcohol as it would cause a serious reaction and damage to my liver.”

Them: “Wow, I didn’t know you had psoriasis.”

Me: “Yeah, it’s completely horrible unless I take the meds permanently.”

Them: “OK, well I just wanted to say Hi. Talk to you later!”

2 Likes

Be the designated driver. You will always have a good explanation why you dont drink and everybody should accept. Hopefully

1 Like

Thank you :pray: having sober friends around is very important indeed.

1 Like

Yes good excuses are important but looks like avoiding such social settings is actually crucial to staying sober.

3 Likes

Ah that’s brilliant :joy: I’m a pretty good liar too but always preferred to be honest and say that I’m trying to avoid alcohol since I have a problem, but now I’m starting to see that they either don’t believe you or don’t really care. So yeah should exercise some fun little lies I guess.

Ahh everyone around me knows I don’t have a driving license. I actually didn’t want to get it for a while cause I thought having a car would interfere with my drinking schedule :smile:

1 Like

I worried about this too but was able to find a new sober social life with the sober ladies i met in aa

1 Like

AA does seem very helpful hope I’ll find it around as well.

2 Likes