Back again! 24hrs

Continuing the discussion from Welcome to the forum! 2021 edition :slight_smile::

What a lucky guy. I wish I thought about getting sober at 18. Unfortunately I’m a dumbass and needed another ten years of completely destroying my life to take action.

Obviously have a look into 12 step programmes. It doesn’t have to be AA or NA whatever suits you best.

One tip I can give is find some recovery, because if your just maintaining sobriety then that’s all your gonna be thinking about. So the substance is still on your mind, good luck! You could be my age with 10 years of sobriety that would be good

2 Likes

Welcome @homorc.

I had DUI a little over 10 years ago, but it seems like yesterday. It is scary, the big unknown, but I survived and so will you.

There’s no need to minimize addiction, it can grab a hold of you at any age, I know finding sobriety is as hard for you as it was for me. The best way to do is to just do it, one day at a time.

Read through this forum, theres lots of good info here.

Glad you’re here.

2 Likes

Definitely speaking to others is gonna help. I wouldn’t worry too much about that. I’ve been arrested many times, been in the court system plenty. And got released from prison in April.

Maybe this is a wake up call you need so think of it as a positive.

Addiction isn’t a time frame, nor is it an age thing. 8 or 80 you can have an addiction

But honestly I wish I got my shit together at 18 instead of 37.

I had so many free chances, local police knew me and gave the professional courteousy to get a pass. (Things that dont happen any more btw)

But in a way I wish they would have never gave me a pass, I would been 18 getting my life right instead of 38 trying to get my life right