Backtodayone

Back to day one for the millionth time. I keep trying and trying but it seems like I just can’t do it. I don’t want to give up but I feel there is no hope. I have no idea what to do or even where to begin. When I finally have a couple days I feel like it is okay and I could have just one drink but that never happens. It’s like I’m living on repeat. Any advice??

2 Likes

1: Put all the effort (more importantly, all your smarts and strategies) you can into not taking the first drink, because that first drink is what lets all the rest happen.
2: As you do this remind yourself there is hope. After all, all of us are here because there is hope. You included, so deep down you must believe there’s hope somewhere. Maybe you can practice tapping into that.
3. Surround yourself with people who support your sobriety, who can give you good advice, who you can call whenever you’re tempted to pick up a drink. I have found that when I dial a number and it starts ringing, a huge part of the pressure to relapse has already left before anyone even picks up my call. Meetings are a good way of finding these people.
4. Learn more about what makes you want to drink and see if you can address the deeper issues. Again, meetings are good for this. Counselors too, especially those who specialize in addiction.
5. Never stop trying because there is always a way to sobriety no matter how far gone you think you are.
6. Listen to people smarter than me :rofl:

4 Likes

Maybe find some extra help: AA, smart or a online meeting?

3 Likes

Think you need a hand maybe try a meeting get help and makes it easier wish you well

2 Likes

I’ve been struggling with this myself too. I can go a few weeks, then I give in for a night, reset and repeat. It’s frustrating.

I keep repeating to myself: Nothing will change until something changes. What that means to me is to change my daily routine and do something different, because obviously what I’m doing isn’t working.

You only fail when you stop trying. Don’t give up! You can do anything you truly want.

1 Like

Thank you I will try these things!!

I’m sure @Englishd can give you some YPAA (young people’s Alcoholics Anonymous) info

This is fantastic advice

Sobriety is a lifestyle overhaul! It isn’t just not drinking, well it is on the surface, but it also means finding support, making new friends, finding new hobbies and ways to cope.

There’s some great advice in this thread and I have nothing to add but you CAN DO THIS. You can x

When I was 18, the last thing I couldve imagined doing was recognising my addiction, admitting it and attempting to do something about it - massive kudos to you for that. All the reading ive done here in the short time ive been on shows a lot of people who either are or have been in the same position so do check in :slight_smile:

Ultimately, only you will know where to start but if you can go a couple days, YOU CAN go more :slight_smile: Have the confidence to not give in and trust your sober self - stay positive and keep telling yourself “i dont drink”. All the best :slight_smile:

1 Like