Be kind to others on here

I think most people are kind on here from what I’ve seen. I certainly try to be, I might be stupid and have a laugh but that’s just my humour

The only thing that I see gets peoples backs up is when they slate a program which has worked for them…

I’ll be resentful towards somebody who slates AA but that’s because I’m passionate that it works as it’s “my program” I’d never slate another persons recovery because that’s what works for them.

Be kind to others recovery programs please guys

10 Likes

Interesting…

That we are a mixed bunch of people with different ways of commuinicating… You cant go at someone for the way they have worded something as long as they are going by the rules of the forum… People can do as they please…not all of us can deal with kindness, some need the brutal honesty of what happens.

We are all individuals

13 Likes

Exactly… These last 2 days has been a total funk on here. Are we in Mercury Retrograde?

5 Likes

At the end of the day, people gonna do what people do. They will either chose to succeed or chose to fail. They may chose to pin their failure on someone or something else or they may blame themselves. They may attribute their success to someone or something else or take credit themselves.

I’ve been around for a few days I’ve seen plenty of people come get the kid glove treatment and disappear…

Conversely, I’ve seen people come and first interaction is harsh truth and they are still here, sober.

I’ve seen many people join with what seems like a self destruct button and they push it at the first sign of anything opposite of what they are trying to solicit, saying “see, no one cares about me”.

While I agree that no one is responsible for ones success or failure, words can influence them, and for that, we have the responsibility to be careful with what we say.

7 Likes

It happens almost like clockwork here or at least it has for my 4+ years here. As Pema Chödrön so aptly puts it…

“Things falling apart is a kind of testing and also a kind of healing. We think that the point is to pass the test or to overcome the problem, but the truth is that things don’t really get solved. They come together and they fall apart. Then they come together again and fall apart again. It’s just like that. The healing comes from letting there be room for all of this to happen: room for grief, for relief, for misery, for joy.”

And so it is here. :heart:

16 Likes

Time to do review and clean up. Y’all seem to need a break.

Sobriety…we are here to support eachother in our quest for sobriety.

It’s very easy. If you don’t like it, just keep scrolling. It’s the internet not your Facebook page. Whether you are for tough love or nice love… just keep scrolling.

In Dory words:

Just keep scrolling… just keep scrolling…
What do we do?
Weeeeee sccrrroolll…
Just keep scrolling… just keep scrolling…

13 Likes

There is so much gold in this post.

5 Likes

Yep, every several months: Around and around we go.

1 Like

Well said, I have thought some people come across as having all the answers as they are not in the early days of sobriety and maybe forgot how shit you feel when dealing with the shame, anxiety, guilt etc
I have actually stopped posting so much cos I actually feel a little judged at times
I came on here to read information and support others not to criticze how others are handling their journey

I haven’t read all the comments yet but strongly agreed with what you said
I also think that lockdown hasn’t helped anyones situation and its prob sent us all deeper into a funk, in my opinion anyways
I agree sone people like tough love but some don’t and we are all strangers here so maybe tread a little carefully is all I’m gonna say :wink:

5 Likes

Well, I guess I didn’t make it clear enough that the post was not aimed at you. Since I was elaborating on my original reply, I tossed that in there just so you wouldn’t think it was towards you. Guess I did it wrong. I’m honestly can’t here anymore.

3 Likes

I think most people can agree that addicts are bullshitters. We’ve practiced the art of bullshitting others and even ourselves to continue in our addiction.

I think those threads or comments you describe are just people calling out the bullshit.

Because only when the bullshit is gone can we truly recover.

15 Likes

I love this

3 Likes

I was the king of obfuscation, deflection and denial. My ego would not even allow for the possibility that I might have some blame in the matter. My justifications always sounded pretty good to my addicted brain. Granted, I looked like a lunatic to everyone else, but I was nestled deep in the cocoon of my insanity. My behavior was abhorrent and I still had the nerve to tell people “yeah, well about you”. That was my answer to everything. Steal $40 from the girlfriend, well yeah you left your purse out, or I thought you said I could have it. Another night in handcuffs, well the cops didn’t have reason to stop me in the first place. Fired from a job, well the boss was an Asshole. And so the madness of my life continued, for years. Eventually, through multiple rehabs and a heavy dose of AA did I start to gain some self realization. The problems in my life were a result of my actions and my actions alone. I could no longer deny what was obvious to everyone. I did not get there by people telling me it was all okay. I got there when every last person in my life decided they had enough of me, and had no problem telling me so

18 Likes

There is a difference between tough love and cruelty.

The new comer is the most important person,
Experience strength and hope

Not shred someone apart.

You can be direct, without being cruel
Choose the words correctly

I am responsible for what comes out of my mouth, I am NOT responsible what what comes out of yours.

Yes this is online and not in person, it is hard to tell someone’s tone, read body language

Keep coming back

8 Likes

The path of recovery feels wide sometimes, but it gets narrow.

Many people slip with a decade. It happens alot. It happened to me. When I had two to four years I thought I had it all figured out. At six years sober I truly believed I would never drink again.

Im lucky I made it back!

We only have today!

Great post!

16 Likes

I totally agree with you

People leave because their ridiculousness is pointed out to them? They possibly have some more research to do. Jmo.

3 Likes

I read through almost every post and honestly feel I can realate and see both sides for my story to sobriety is a interesting one and through my time looking back on the savage drunk I was I realize that alcohol can make you do some real crazy stuff and really change your emotions, I feel each person path to sobriety is different wethere they’re here from their day 1 or they didn’t find TS till day 200 I think the point is they found this great place. Tough love was definitely needed in my story by all means I now agree. But I have heard stories where the love and compassion can be the ingredient others stories needed. End of the day just hope if this app helps someone not drink, or someone’s words helped someone that’s really all that matters here. As long as someone was able to stay strong for today and make it to tomorrow sober.

4 Likes