Beginner day 1

I’ve completed one day sober. And I’m already thinking about drinking…I use alcohol to make my day feel like more fun…but it never ends that way. I usually pass out and feel horribly hungover the next day. I spend a day to recover and then the following day, I’m ready to drink again…I have to tell myself. That it’s not worth it. I will just feel like crap tomorrow. I’m in the beginning of my sobriety. The very beginning. And i dont trust myself. I have to try and stay strong. I thought posting might help me fight the urge. ty

8 Likes

The urge is just a small hurdle between you and getting to bed sober tonight. You can tolerate it, especially if you treat yourself well. Have a bath or a chocolate bar. Read posts on here from the beginning.

There’s so much you can do for yourself. Sobriety is in large part learning new ways of coping, with cravings, with feelings, with life. Check this thread for a while bunch of ideas.

3 Likes

I know for me once I knew I wanted to, I kinda had to break up with it like a boyfriend. I actually went through some real sadness.
It’s good you’re here, it’s worth the fight! Life is BETTER WITHOUT IT!!:grin:

6 Likes

Posting is one of the positive things you can do.
Search “tips for newcomers”.
It’ll have lots of info about what you can do.
One thing I would suggest you do is write down all your reasons, so when the voice tells you it’s ok you have evidence to prove otherwise.
It can be part of your sober toolbox, search up that as well.
It’s hard at first because we are changing habits that have developed over years and will certainly not go away over night.
How long it takes to become proficient at saying no and staying sober, would depend on how much work you are prepared to put in.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone I appreciate the support

1 Like

Its hard to imagine life without alcohol.

Its hard to imagine continuing living the vicious cycle.

Life does get better not drinking. Ive never heard of it getting better drinking.

We’ve all started out exactly where you are. Staying sober one day at a time.

Glad your here!

My life has improved without drinking.

2 Likes

This is something you need to remember, write it on a piece of paper and carry it with you. We can romanticize the “good times” and completely forget the horrible times.

3 Likes

Hi, well done on knowing and acknowledging that drinking is doing you any favours. It’s hard at first but it does get easier, I promise. Take in a minute at a time or and hour at a time if you need to but just don’t drink! Be kind to yourself and be gentle on yourself. When I started I read on here someone say, treat yourself like you have the flu. Take a nice bath make a nice cuppa and wrap yourself up in a blanket. Get cozy with a book or just this app and take it a step at a time. Becoming sober has been the best thing that I have ever done, life is so so much better and yours can be too! We are here, stick around, it’s great to have you here and part of the TS family :pray:t2::two_hearts: