Beginning day 3!

Hi all, newbie here. I’ve been a daily beer drinker for more than 10 years and decided to quit on Wednesday. Fortunately I ffound this app and you have all made the process so much more bearable and I thank you. I am fortunate to be on a job ( I’m a field service tech and travel) that currently has me working 12 hours a day so I haven’t had much trouble avoiding drinking. But I have had trouble sleeping, specifically due to night sweats. Is this a common withdrawal symptom and how long will it last? Thanks in advance!

5 Likes

Hi Myles, welcome to the forum, it’s a great first step. The night sweats are very common during WD, if that is your only symptom and your on three days things should start improving soon. Mine had gone by day five but it differs person to person

2 Likes

Thanks for the info! I was unaware this was a symptom and also didn’t think I would have any withdrawals (denial!!)

I’m on day 5, sweating like a racehorse all night. Days 3 and 4 were the worst, last night just woke up wet once. I think it’s getting better but expect to do a lot of laundry that first week.

1 Like

Day 8 here and the sweating is really calmed down now, and sleeping a bit better too :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Well done. I have always found that for the first 5 days you sweat profusely and it tends to get worse by the day. Day 5 for me is usually the worst and I have actually used it as an excuse, because I have a drink and it seems to stop. But then just have to do It all again. If you can stick it out you should see improvement on day 7 to day 10. Everyones different. But you know it will be worth it. I’m in the same boat doing it again. Don’t give up giving up. :grinning:

2 Likes

I am glad you decided to quit. As the weeks go on it will get better. As for night sweats I never had them. I just felt horrible for the first 4 days. Welcome and we are here for you!

2 Likes

Welcome! Yes. This forum is WONDERFUL! I found it on day 1 and i think i literally lived here, reading every post and comment. Finally asking advice myself and getting immidiate responses. Ive been talked back from a drink a few times on here.
Im on day 5 and I had night sweats on day 2 and 3. Other than that ive not had any other withdrawl symptoms. TG! :grinning:

3 Likes

Awesome! No other notable side effects either so I can deal with the sweats, hopefully for only another day or 2

1 Like

Day 11 and 12 hours but who is counting. I have had some bad headaches a couple times, that is about it physically for me. Welcome!! This place definitely helps.

2 Likes

Hi, welcome. I didn’t personally get the sweats but I hear it can be bad. I felt like crap the first 4 to 5 days, and was really tired for weeks. Also emotions, these can surface anytime and really mess with your head!
Read around the threads or use the search bar to see all the wealth and experience of people within this community.

1 Like

Welcome! This is a wonderful first step!

1 Like

Thanks Kevin! I’m a contractor working in packaging plants and would normally look forward to the end of the day so I could pick up a 12 pack and drink in my hotel room, so yeah that’s been hard. But not as hard as when I’m in between jobs because I’ll be a home and start drinking at noon…never really drunk but could easily drink 12-15 beers. Been daily drinking like this for over 10 years and am so done with it

1 Like

Welcome!! Sleep can be really rough for the first bit. But stick to it - you will be amazed how great sober sleep is eventually :blush:

1 Like

Thanks! No sweats on night #3, not a great sleep, but a dry one :grin:

Wow I can’t believe it’s been 2 1/2 years since I last quit. Sad to say I started periodic drinking about 2 months in back in 2019 and guess what? Yup it didn’t take long for me to get back to my previous habits of daily drinking and excessive consumption. Now I’ve struggled to modify my behavior in order to ‘drink responsibly’ but you all know that never fully works. So today I woke up sick of feeling like shit and have made a commitment to change. Here’s to DAY 1!!

Welcome back! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you!