Being around people who drink

Almost making a week being sober… and today I’m really really feeling it. Doesn’t help that my mother is drinking wine around me. Caught myself mid excuse “just one glass and I’ll start over tomorrow”. I know it won’t be just one glass. I know I’ll tell myself that excuse again. But I’m worried if I can even be around anyone who drinks. If it’s affecting me this much. Ughhhhhh! How do you guys deal with it without walking away from others and enjoying spending time. I want to be able to be around others and not crave to drink.

6 Likes

I had to walk away on the beginning when people were drinking. Unless they have a alcohol problem there should be plenty of time to see them when they are not drinking. Best wishes

3 Likes

I avoided alc totally for at least 90 days when i got sober.
My suggestion is include your loved ones…aoe them understand your struggle and if they dont support you might need to take distance
For a bit.

3 Likes

This is my daily struggle. My mind keeps saying Just take a sip it won’t count! Knowing very well il be 2bottles down by the end of the night. I’m on day 11 and I just bombard myself with tea!! I’m trying to not go crazy with the coffee though. Does your mum know

2 Likes

Omg I just had coffee as a substitute after cause it was driving me crazy. I’ll try tea instead. Thanks everyone.

2 Likes

I told her the other day. So she knows.

1 Like

I’m a week off the booze and it’s getting easier as time goes on not to take that first drink. Just think how it affects you, the regrets the hangovers the feeling of not knowing what happened last night. Don’t undo your hard work by taking that first drink. Stay strong

4 Likes

I think we all struggle with this, especially in the beginning of sobriety. I find that I have to remove myself from situations entirely. My boyfriend still drinks and on weekends he drinks a lot. Sounds hypocritical but I can’t stand to be around drunk people. If he goes out to a bar with friends I decline…even if he says "you don’t have to drink ". It’s not any fun to be put in the situation. I would say to know your boundaries with people right now. It’s okay even if you come off as rude to stay away from people or situations that compromise your goal. I’ve had situations where my boyfriend has invited people over…they sit out and drink on the patio…and I refuse to even go outside. I’m sure people probably think I’m rude or antisocial but I don’t even care at this point. I try to calm myself and stay in my safe space…take a bath…light some candles, and find a good podcast with some hot tea. If you are at all into podcasts try Seltzer squad. They are easy to relate to. I wish you the best of luck​:heart::heart::heart::heart:

8 Likes

Thanks love I’ll def check it out

1 Like

Krystal are you still sober? I hope you are you got this don’t let that demon drag you back in, to his side stay on this side it gets better, way better! Stay strong

1 Like

Yes 6 days sober. Was just harder today. Thank you!

The way I handle it is by realizing and accepting that for me alchohol is an allergy, and I have a horrible reaction to it. However, not everyone has this allergy, and can drink like normal people. Accepting this helps me be ok with other people drinking while not drinking myself.

Compare it to peanuts. A lot of people are allergic to peanuts, but not everyone is. Should all the people who can eat peanuts without getting sick stop eating them because other people can’t eat them? I personally don’t think so. The same applies for alchohol. By all means an alchoholic should abstain from it, but if a normie can have a glass of wine or two every now and then, and keep it under control. I don’t think there should be any issue.

However, in the beginning of sobriety it may be more difficult to be around people or places where alcohol is. I would definitely recommend limiting exposure to it in the beginning if it temps you or causes your cravings to peak. But eventually every sober alcoholic is going to come across someone or some place that has booze, so I highly recommend doing the spiritual work to make sure you are ready for that encounter.

3 Likes

My husband is having a few beers and here I sit. I hate it when this happens. I’m not tempted it’s just i dont like listening to someone who’s pretty buzzed. Just a lot of talk talk talk!

4 Likes

I took a long break from alcohol and drug related social stuff. Family members drinking around me is still a struggle sometimes.

For me, finding other things to do that were not alcohol or drug got me through the first couple months. Stuff like hiking, making new recipes for dinner, diy projects, tv show binges, video games, language exchange partners, learning how to make an android app, meditation, etc. There are plenty of other things to do if you are willing to change up your life a bit!

And that my dear was what everyone had to listen to with us :rofl: