Best friends and drinking buddies

I’m running into this problem where I would like to cut out alcohol all together but my very good friend drinks a lot of beer and we hang out often. He’s a really good dude and a great dad to his kids. It’s honestly a lot of fun drinking beer with him. But it seems the alcohol doesn’t really bother him but we both drink too much and I find it hard to keep up or not drink at all. I get hangovers and it affects me and my work. I’m also becoming overweight but only in the waist which looks strange. I have taken up running recently so it keeps me sober a little more often. Longest time sober was 5 days…how do I even handle the situation?

Does your friend know you are trying to be sober? Maybe you should talk to him about it. A good friend will be supportive. If he is unable to curb his drinking around you, you might have to take a break until you feel like you will be able to resist the temptation. Maybe hang out at a different time of day where he wouldn’t be drinking or hanging out with him and his whole family (hopefully he wouldn’t be getting wasted then and you could talk to the kids to distract yourself).

2 Likes

Honesty. Tell them you want to be sober and would appreciate their support. Maybe that means they don’t drink around you, maybe it means that they don’t offer you booze, maybe it means that you spend some time apart. My best friend is/was a drinking buddy, and I had to tell her about three-four times how important my sobriety was.

If your best friend can’t support your sobriety, then it may be time to reevaluate your friendship. :heart:

2 Likes