Best pieces of advice?

What are the best pieces of advice youve ever been given in your sobriety journey? Hoping this will remind me, yourselves and help others …

Mine so far…

That i have to accept that i can never be a ‘normal’ drinker

Take one day at a time and dont look to far ahead

To accept that alcohol does not help or soothe me, it just feels that way because your feeding your addiction

That i cannot deal with addiction alone

To be realistic, there will be good days and bad

Id love to hear yours…?

12 Likes

Welcome! There are many threads on your question. You can use the search function above. Good stuff around.

4 Likes

“Hope is for suckers”.

Don’t hope. Do.

8 Likes

This is not a race to see who can get the most sobriety in the fastest amount of time. If we never give up, learn from any relapses, and make the necessary adjustments to improve the result, then we’ll eventually get to the same place of freedom.

5 Likes

Dan started a great thread that will probably be popping up a lot this time of year :wink:

:pray:t2::heart:

7 Likes

Action speaks louder than words, don’t say it do it

8 Likes

I like this thread! Great idea!! For me id have to say my best pieces of advice would be:

I have no control over people, places, or things. I alone am responsible for my choices. Not one person, not one emotion, or stressful situation is to blame for what i choose to do.

Live in the moment, for the next 24 hours. Bcuz thats all we have right now. If i have 1 foot in the past and 1 foot in the present, im pissing all over today

And then the good ol saying, acceptance is the key to ALL my problems today. I love this one :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Mine is, “Never question the decision.” (The decision is drinking is wrong for me)

6 Likes

“There is no excuse great enough to pick up and use .”

“It’s not the substance it’s the behavior.”

“If you think you came in for a drug or alcohol problem hold on to you’re ass.”

“If things feel hopeless this too shall pass, if things feel wonderful and amazing hold on too you’re ass because this too shall pass.”

“Everything has already been decided in this life whatever happens death, divorce, ect. Life is always good for me if I’m clean.”

“There is no grey area in recovery you’re either doin it, or you’re not. There is no trying.”

“I will look for any excuse to not do the work that’s required to stick around.”

“We didn’t get this way overnight so remember easy does it”

“No matter what’s going on in my life there are 5 things that I can fall back that’s saved my ass more than once 1. I’m alive 2. I’m clean/sober 3.i have clothes on my back 4. A roof over my head 5. And enough food for TODAY.”

6 Likes

By far THE biggest personal realization for me!

Also try not to dwell on the past ugliness that was your life as a source of motivation. It will just wind up triggering you. None of us can change what’s already happened.
Instead focus on the beautiful, peaceful, full life you wish to have in front of you again for inspiration.

3 Likes

Was coming to post this too. Some really great stuff on that thread.

1 Like

All of these are excellent. Best advice for me is Be Here Now and Love Everyone.

2 Likes

I just try to help others takes away the me me thing giving my sobriety to others to enhance their journey keep on trucking

3 Likes