Better sleep without alcohol

So my alarm is set for 5:15 am every morning. But I’ve been waking up at 5:00am ish before my alarm goes off. My sleep is so much better without alcohol. Waking up without a hangover or feeling like crap is so much better. Anyone else getting better sleep while off booze?

26 Likes

Ditto! And no more snoring! Lol

3 Likes

That’s funny cause most people I know say when they drink the pass out or sleep good. Me in the other hand I stay up all night and barely fall asleep when I drink. Last couple nights been sleeping like a rock. In bed at 9. Up at 5 and at the gym. Feels much better

8 Likes

For real good sleep!

2 Likes

When I drank I would almost always wake up in the middle of the night, then have a hard time going back to sleep. Now I sleep like a baby, I love it!

5 Likes

Heavy drinking decreases the sleep quality by 39%. Personally waking up feeling sober is one of my favorite things about sobriety :grin:

8 Likes

Alcohol is the sleep killer number one. When the poison and it’s degradation products left the body it starts healing.
And I agree with @RafaelJones The snorring decreases - but I still snore like a walrus when I’m overly tired :grin:

3 Likes

For sure!! I used to stupidly think alcohol helped me sleep but my sleep was crap while I was drinking and I was SO tired every morning. Now I really sleep and feel rested! :partying_face:

5 Likes

I thought the same thing. When I drank I slept like a rock. I never woke up at night but getting out of bed in the morning was so hard and I always felt like crap. I didn’t associate that with alcohol until I started to cut back on my drinking. (For a while I told myself I would be fine if I just drank every other day, but that’s another story lol)
Now that I quit drinking, I feel like I’m a lighter sleeper and I do wake up sometimes at night, but I feel soooooo much better in the mornings!

5 Likes

I still snore :joy:

2 Likes

Absolutely once we find out the big lie everything changes and works so much easier. Congratulations you’re outside the circle looking and you got this. I’m grateful that you can share and be here reading this helps me even more thank you.

3 Likes

OMG! The return of dreaming has been intense but so amazing.

4 Likes

Yep, much better sleep as well and I feel so much better in the mornings.

5 Likes

I still struggle with sleep a bit, even sober, but it’s immensely better! One of my favourite things about avoiding alcohol. Better sleep and not that racing heart in the morning

4 Likes

Same here. I would blackout after a while, but after a couple of hours I was wide awake (not lucid, of course) and without any possibility to go back to sleep.

3 Likes

Same - I would get up to pee a minimum of 5x a night. Not to mention that I’m actually able to focus on WHERE I’m going to the bathroom :roll_eyes::joy:

3 Likes

How long does it take for sleep to get better? I’ve been 2 weeks alcohol free and sleeping like crap. I slept so much better with a couple drinks.

2 Likes

I’m 11 days sober now not missing or craving any wine which is good but sleep and tiredness are off the scale.

When I was drinking bottles of wine a night I’d go to bed and fall asleep immediately and wake up when my alarm went off feeling hangover but fine.

Now it’s taking me ages to fall asleep and waking up feeling … hungover! And throughout the day I’m getting these sudden severe tiredness attacks.

I really hope this will start to improve soon. I just got some b12complex and vitD supplements to see if improves.

2 Likes

Same sober date here! I am taking magnesium and zinc at night (about 250mg) and b12 in the morning with my two cups of coffee. Seems to help with falling asleep.

3 Likes

Day 21 here… falling asleep takes a small miracle still. I’ve always struggled with sleep and so the point of me drinking in the first place was to just be able to pass out asleep. Although I’m still not sleeping much my mornings are much better now. I may be tired but at least I’m not hungover and I’m not poisoning myself. I hope to get to the good nights sleep part of sobriety eventually.

2 Likes