Big events and sobriety

So I have relapsed, it is the Henley royal regatta where I live, and alcohol and people out out are everywhere, people walking around everywhere you look with bottles and drinks in their hands dressed up to the nines.
Honestly, you have never seen so many people in one place, I had serious fomo, all my family out enjoying themselves and it finally got me! Now in the doghouse! Super hard when even the people you live with are drinking and socializing non stop!

5 Likes

Hey! Yes that does seem super hard. I don’t know what that big event is… but I’m sorry you’re going through that. Have you spoken to them about possibly not drinking around you? It’s hard to stay sober when you don’t have the support constantly. Now as far as big events… I’d try to keep away from it as much as possible I know you stated it’s very hard but maybe try getting a hobby and staying inside or even go somewhere else where you aren’t near the festivities that way you don’t slip up or have any triggers?

As apart of my journey I have decided to cut off all events and even my social life until I get a handle on things that way I don’t have triggers. FOMO is really a hard thing and I constantly battle with it myself but if I don’t know what’s going on or I am busy doing something else I don’t think about it as much!

Don’t be too hard on yourself. Big social events are really tough, especially early in sobriety. When I quit alcohol in December, Christmas and New Years was coming up and I really wasn’t sure I could make it through sober. I chose to avoid big drinking events for a while and do something rewarding in a sober environment instead. For me that was volunteer work and teaching kids.

Giving myself the time to settle in my sobriety for a few months was really worth it. I learned, that I can have a lot of fun without alcohol and it really isn’t needed, to make great memories. I found new people, who don’t need to drink and I stick with them, when it comes to festivals, concerts or any other big social event. Pick yourself up and try again with a better strategy for next time. Best to you - putting up a link on how others have handled this :slight_smile:

i was told in early sobriety try and avoid places were there was drink and i did and it worked ,today i can go to events were there is booze as im alot stronger due my program of recovery

3 Likes

When you realise you can beat the temptation, when it hits you that you got through it sober and still had fun, it will happen, but you have to stay strong, kick the temptation especially if its something you cant avoid. If it can be avoided then avoid it.

1 Like

I’ve been in thatt situation also. Im in aapartment where everyone ust to party. For me it got worse and worse until I stopped completely. The fake friends were using my place as a place to use drugs which got me involved with drugs.

Its super hard to get sober time in the beginning of all of that

Deffinetly be careful because once you say yes enough, people will expect a yes every time and get mad at the word no

Just be careful ok