Binge eating and sobriety

This topic has probably already been broached, but it’s been 3 days since I’ve stopped drinking again and all I want to do is eat… like I’m trying to fill some type of hole.

Does anyone have any advice to avoid this, that’s not going for walks for meditating… I’ve done a ton of that and it hasn’t stopped my ability to literally want to eat anything and everything.

7 Likes

Honestly, my understanding is that eating is a good thing in early sobriety. Your body has been deprived a significant amount of regular nutrients by drinking and needs to be replenished. (So yes, filling a hole, as you say!) Your appetite will likely normalize as you progress so it may not even be anything to worry about in the short-term. You could look into taking vitamin supplements to help with the nutrient replacement. Drink lots of water and other non-alc beverages. Stock up on healthy, filling snacks.

7 Likes

Fill up on protein and fiber. They keep you full for a longer period of time and can help with sugar cravings and snacking. I mean, eat a lot of protein and fruit. Cut out as many carbs as you can, as eating carbs can actually create a craving for even more carbs and sugar.

This has also helped me lose weight as well. If you can take fiber supplements, that would probably help too.

2 Likes

You may find this thread helpful…

2 Likes

Hi, thanks for linking my thread. I hope it’s helpful. Anyone who wants to recover from binge eating is welcome to post on it. :smiley:

2 Likes

@Sasha
If I’m not craving sugar, I’m craving carbs. I lost weight in rehab but this year out, eating the bad stuff is daily.

1 Like