Binged again

Although I am using this app for alcohol, I am wondering if I should try using it for food. It is maybe a little early in my sobriety for new things (two months) but my eating is getting more and more disordered. And I am realising so much is the same as drinking
Going to different stores so the clerk doesn’t notice
Hiding the rubbish and receipts
Feeling sick/headache
Feeling guilty / disappointed
The only difference is I can still perform daily tasks and I am getting bigger very quickly.
Just ‘playing the tape forward’ isn’t really working for food, cos I can still take care of my kids.
I just feel so disgusting.

7 Likes

Sure does, especially if u had problems in the past, pops right back up. I just feel so tired to quit something else. I need to go back to the root of it all, I know that, then I won’t be juggling quitting things one at a time.

1 Like

Maybe a short trial of restricted eating might help lose a few kgs and feel less out of control . With cooking for kids, and having a husband who is a bulk-buyer it would be hard to follow ur plan tho!

1 Like

Your sharing you have had issue eating before…
I would like to put out the suggestion that using substances was a way to coop with the eating issue perhaps. Think that through.
If you can recognize that as soon as you picked up on substances the eating issues went to the background. That can be a wake up call.
If so, seek help because I have learned that eating disorders are even worse to deal with then substance abuse.

Take care of yourself and your health :pray:t2:

5 Likes

If you have a history of disordered eating then maybe a restricted diet is not the best idea?

I have done the super healthy losing weight thing, and now the depressed no exercise eating too much thing. The trick is to find a way that you can stick with for the long haul IMO.

I am working on what this might look like for me. I keep coming back to Michael Pollan’s ‘eat food, mostly plants, not too much’. Wholesome, home made, vegetarian food and reduce snacking! And move more, even if that’s just dancing round the house.

4 Likes

If you can afford it, a program like Weight Watchers may be helpful. They have options for in person group meetings, or just doing online, or both.

I do the online version. The WW app has a pretty good online community, where people post the challenges, successes, sorrows, and joy.

If you have a unhealthy relationship with food, you’ll quickly find in that community that you are not alone, and that there are individuals there to help support you and share their experiences (like this app :grinning: )

Best wishes, and good luck. I hope you have a wonderful day.

2 Likes

I have addiction jumping too. I think it’s fairly common. You have gotten some good suggestions here. I use a free calorie teacker to simply stay low fat. I had a gastric bypass and if I overdo it, well it’s not pretty. The surgery fixed my eating volume oroblem but not the psychological aspect. That is what makes addictions rotate thru cycles. Gettong to the bottom of the issues with step work, meetings and a sponsor is key.

I hear you that you are tired of fighting and quitting things. Give yourself a breather and someday soon you will feel strong enough to begin tackling eating too. Thinking of you.

1 Like

Sounds familiar. I started with eating disorders, then came drinking. And every time I stay sober from one addiction the other one increases. So I switch from one to another. Letting go both at the same time seems to be the only way. You can avoid alcohol, but if you don’t want to become a prana eater you can’t avoid food. I try with raw plant-based food. But thecore is the self-acceptance and the self-love I think. Be hugged :heart:

2 Likes