Bipolar and PTSD - 60 days sober

“Sometimes in life all you have are Fucked up poisonous Choices.” - Rosalyn Rosenfeld (American Hustle 2013) directed by David O Russell.

So I just left detox I’m close to 60 days sober and I’m am mentally exhausted. My private therapist today told me to write a goodbye letter to my addiction and my mom told me to forgive all the men that hurt and used me (I’m gay if that helps to follow along with my post) anyway I suffer form bipolar and PTSD and substance use. I got put on meds that help (non-narcotics) and they help but today I decided to do a little photo shoot thing with my digital camera. That’s one of my biggest coping skills so what’s something all of you like to do when you are unhappy for me it’s photography.

9 Likes

Welcome to the sober fam and congrats on your sobriety! This forum is full of people from around the world fighting the good fight too. This place and aa are a big reason i have 10+ months of sobriety for the first time in my adult life.

Read around and check in often!

2 Likes

Welcome Jesse! Congratulations on ur upcoming 60 days!! Glad ur here. This forum has been a HUGE support for me and i hope it is for u too. I too remember writing that goodbye letter to my addiction. I remember it being very therapeutic. But forgiveness to all the men that hurt me (I am a former sex trade worker) has taken a long time (for me anyway). But i do believe that forgiveness was crucial, not so much for them, but for me. Being able to gain that sense of peace by not allowing others to continue to steal my joy and happiness has been a big part of my recovery. But it may take time. Be gentle with urself :slight_smile:
I also have a mental health issue, bpd and ptsd. Medication has helped me tremendously to gain stability and therefore gaining recovery also.
I love ur idea of photography!! What do u like to take pics of specifically? I emjoy getting out in nature, having kavender scented baths or exercising when im down :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Selfies cityscapes the ocean and the country

3 Likes

Welcome! This place is amazing!!! Congratulations on 60 days of hard work and commitment :blue_heart:

I like to do puzzles, run, read and watch a good movie but I’m still trying to re wire my brain to favor these activities before alcohol so right now i look at sober forums and talk and read about sober things and avoid areas of my town that trigger me

2 Likes