Bipolar Disorder, Epilepsy and Accutane

Hi everyone

I suffer from multiple Disorders/illnesses and I’m on medication such as lithium, epilim(aka depakote) and accutane but the the worst of all is without a doubt the stupid shit I do because of drugs and drink. I’m 29 and I won’t last long with all this harsh liver medication and drink/drugs. I’ve been to rehab and the longest I’ve been sober is 6 months ever.

Is there any groups to help people going through both manic episodes and also drug addiction?

I take full responsibility for my actions, I always know I’m doing the wrong thing. I just can’t stop myself from doing it and the shame is unbearable.

Thanks
Dave

3 Likes

Maybe try 12 step meetings? Its good to understamd we probably won’t last long if we keep on with all the foreign substances, took me so many years to realize, been nice if i didnt have to learn the hard way. Being alive and well now is really a great feeling, it takes alot of work to maintain my mental health and all my disorders but the labels dont defy who i really am. We can and do recover. Wish you well my friend🙂

3 Likes

Some areas do have something called Dual diagnosis meetings which is for people who are working through a substance addiction and mental health. I have BPD and PTSD and have been on a wide variety of mood stabilizers and antipsychotics myself. It definitly can be frustrating. My old treatment counsellor told me I had to get off the drugs to figure out my mental health properly. But yet my mental health was a huge reason for why I did drugs. It’s a tough spot to be in. But I know some areas have meetings for those with Dual Diagnosis. I’m just not sure how you could find where they are :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks I really appreciate the response

Thank you for the thoughtful response, I’m going to look for a dual diagnosis counsellor or group therapy session

Any group. I don’t think there’s a single group without people having a dual diagnosis. We all used for a reason and in many cases, that reason is a mental issue.

1 Like

Do something productive, something that makes you feel good. It’s not a waste of time. It’s something, which is better than nothing. Stay strong.

1 Like

I do stupid shit too. It’s not us man it’s what we are dealing with. But society and the law doesn’t buy that. So don’t be like me and think that it’s gonna get you outta shit or help you in anyway get outta the shit.

The longer you go without, the more clarity you have, which enables you to make better decisions. You can be 30-31 and have completely turned your lifenl around. Longer you go with, the harder it is, your health deteriorates, funds shrivel, etc.

Focus on the issues that are causing the most havoc (for me that’s alcohol and my emotions)

If you have mental health issues, accept it, seek help everywhere you can, but stay active in trying to create the life which you find happiness in.