Birthday coming up ...... worried. Any tips?

I can barely remember a time when I haven’t a drink on my birthday. Am a tad concerned this could be the day to break me.

2 Likes

No, not until Jun 2, but I’m getting anxious.

That’s a long time away. ODAAT til then

2 Likes

I’ve been going well so far153 days sober now. I hit the 6 months sober the day before. I want to go at least 2 years, but in saying that in reality I should never drink again with my personality type.

1 Like

Think about the true cost that would come with that drink. Is it worth your hard work? Is it worth your sobriety and your chance of being happy? I don’t think so. Surround yourself of loved ones, and keep them in mind when you’ll have to go through that day. Think of how proud they’ll be of you knowing you kept strong and went through it like a champ. We believe in you.

I want to stay strong & sober. Lately my mind has been telling me “I’ll be right if I only have a few”. I don’t know if that’s normal for 5 months sober, but I felt stronger at 3 Months than I do now.

1 Like

No I haven’t gone to any meetings yet. Not many where I live & apparently it’s all men that go so I’ve been reluctant

I hadn’t thought about online, that would definitely suit my social anxiety.

2 Likes

I quit with the timeline of 1 year before, i started drinking again at just under 8 months (because i wasn’t quitting for good anyway). All i have i to say is Alcoholism doesn’t go into remission, it stays right where you leave it and it’s raring to go when you pick back up.

I would suggest to not look at alcohol as something you’re deprived of rather think of it as something was seriously depriving you. Alcohol is pure shit, see it for what it is. I wish you well.

Congrats on 153 btw

2 Likes

I’m in the same boat. Mine is in May and I already have friends asking about a night out. For now I am avoiding the conversation and will deal with it closer to the time :sweat_smile:

1 Like

It is your birthday. You can celebrate it any way you want. My first sober birthday was a huge source or pride for me. Maybe write down a list of things you have always wanted to do, but were drunk and couldnt do?

Getting sober is about relearning how to live.

2 Likes

Your first meeting on your birthday!!! I will tell you, that without a doubt…it will be a phenomenal experience…those people that you have yet to meet…will welcome you to their AA family and celebrate with you like they have always known you!

1 Like

Yes it took me a long time to realise how shit alcohol actually is. It was a big step to get sober. I had to arrange time off work so I could go into a hospital detox unit for 5 days & have someone look after my children & it was far from easy so I’m a fool if I start again so soon. I believe I’m honestly now scared to drink coz I know I’ve little control there & it controlled me, but I’m at the point I also miss the feeling of it. It’s so confusing

1 Like

Go to a meeting on the day - great way to stay focused & sober - and you can go to more than one meeting, there are lots!

Online meeting resources

You have permission to do anything that’s safe and legal, to stay sober: cancel plans, stay home and eat pizza all day, go for 2-hour walks listening to punk music, anything, anything, anything that is safe and legal.

i’ve had a few birthdays sober now and my advice is to take the pressure off yourself beforehand. make sure that if you make plans, that its in an environment that you can completely sober in (ie: not a bar). have lots of food around. get excited about being sober on your birthday! its so much fun to remember everything and have great conversation. :heart:

If you really think about it you’re not missing anything… think back to your detox, how shitty it made you feel. There are other ways to decompress… exercise, yoga, meditation that sort of thing. There are way better options.

Oh gosh NNNOOOO!!! I was 6 months sober and thought I could just have a glass at a restaurant with my boyfriend…led to a 2 week bender culminating in 3 bottles a day for me, kids calling me a drunk (they don’t trust my sobriety and I sure proved them right), making an ass of myself, mom disowning me and ya followed by horrible withdrawal again…shakes, sweats, barfing…just really AMAZING, NOT!!! I would so encourage you to stick to your guns. Sorry to be so vocal but been there done it and lost all the trust gains I had worked so hard to get back. My 1.25 cents worth