Birthday party trigger

My friend is having a birthday party in a bar tonight. I feel like this is a huge trigger and i’m afraid that i’ll be tempted to have just one drink and then get drunk. I’m only on day 5 and don’t feel strong enough yet so i don’t think I should go. I just want to see if you guys think i’m making the right decision or that I should go out there anyways and be social and learn to fight my triggers ? I dont know at what point I need to sacrifice my social life to maintain my sobriety. Any advice is much appreciated. :blush: Thanks so much

2 Likes

I think it might be too early to be around the temptation. I would try to find an excuse and then hang out in a different setting with no alcohol involved.

2 Likes

Dont go if you dont feel strong enough be safe

2 Likes

Than you so much for your support and advice everyone. It means a lot to hear about your own respective journeys :blush:

1 Like

I agree, I wouldn’t step into a bar. It’s great that you can see that it’s not a good idea and your sobriety is the most important. Why not meet this friend this weekend for coffee or lunch instead? Safer environment and you’ll have one on one quality time with your friend…a win win.

4 Likes

I went out last night with friends for $1 pizza and wine night at a local pizza place. I could feel the pressure arriving. I was day 4 yesterday. It was hard, very hard. Everyone was drinking but me. As I watched them drink I was thinking to their one glass I would have had 3. When I went home and laid down I thought about how good I felt and so happy I wasn’t going to be hung over from drinking. It was Revelation actually. When I will be in that situation again I’ll think about how I felt last night. Wide eyed and bushy tailed this morning.

3 Likes

I should also mention the fear of the guilt I would feel if I drank and having to tell everyone.

Just remember you have to remove the safety catch to pull the trigger. The safety catch is there to stop any accidents happening.

1 Like