Blood pressure dropped!

Hey there. I just thought I’d say hi.

I wouldn’t say I was an alcoholic. But then I look back at the fact that I wanted/needed to drink every day and I wonder if I am. I’m not sure what being an alcoholic is - probably an unhelpful label!

Anyway, I’ve been sober 23 days now, and my initial plan is to stay off the sauce for 3 months initially. So it’s early on for me but I’m happy with my 23 days so far. And my perception is changing and wonder if I should stay sober for good.

But what I have noticed is that my high blood pressure has dropped substantially. Has anyone else found that?

15 Likes

Hi Andre, nice meeting you. And yes, yes and yes. Alcoholic is just a label. You call it what you want but since you’re here and you’re sober ATM I’d say you strongly suspect there’s something wrong with your relationship to alcohol. Indeed I’d say why go back to drinking after 3 months? you seem happier without it, am I right?
And yes, seeing our blood pressure go down after stopping drinking is totally normal. Happens to everybody. Good to have you here with all of us, welcome, and hope to see more of you! Together we’re strong.

12 Likes

Welcome to the forum, Andre-Red. Leaving aside the question of labeling yourself as alcoholic, it seems like your goal is to stay sober today. Today is about as much planning as I can handle! I’ve found it best to let tomorrow take care of itself.

There was one time that I did have a longer view of my recovery. I was about 2-3 months in, and I was at an AA meeting. Two people took their 2 year medallions that night. I knew both of them a little, and I liked them and could relate to them. And I thought to myself "Hmm, I could do that, two years ".

Aside from that, I haven’t put goal posts on my sobriety. I’m sober today, and yesterday, and probably tomorrow. And that’s the most I need to think about, for me.

Great job on your 3 weeks so far! You will begin to notice more physical and mental changes (all positive, in my experience) from here on out.

10 Likes

Welcome! My blood pressure went down as well when I stopped drinking. Many parts of our body are finally able to normalize once we stop drinking alcohol, since it’s legitimately a poison to our bodies.

Congrats on your days so far!! I can tell you that the benefits of going past 3 months are immeasurable. Once you get to 3 months of sobriety, don’t stop there. Just keep going!

7 Likes

Alcohol raises blood pressure the mechanism is really unknown but it’s believed the effects on the central nervous system causes changes and releases different epithelial hormones and cortisol that cause Vasoconstriction.

Most people with high blood pressure or a hypertension diagnosis often see improvements after quitting the sauce,

In fact I never had high blood pressure issues but when I was drinking heavy I was on the cusp of high blood pressure

10 Likes

I found exactly the same! I’m at day 23 and my blood pressure is at a healthier number.
I’ve also found my resting pulse is a bit quite lower. I used to sit at my desk and take my pulse. Could be over a hundred! (I’m an office worker, no exertion). After 3 weeks it’s around 78-84bpm. It’s scary just what being on the booze has done to the body over the years.
Well done for getting this far, hopefully these little bonuses will encourage you to keep up the good work.

8 Likes

Great to see you here and good job on 3 weeks of sobriety. For me the pros far out weigh the cons ive know people younger than me who’ve had heart attacks and major health problems some have perished because of alcoholism and it really hits home for me. I personally have felt like i was having heart problems when i was dependent on alcohol and i didnt care if it killed me, but being sober now i understand how fragile life is, its too short for me to continue poisoning myself with toxic and harmful substances. Im greatful to have gotten the help i did when i needed it most to pull myself out of the grave i was digging for myself. All of us here are better off without the poison we use to put in our bodies, my worse day sober is better than anyday i spent in a haze an a drunken stupor. Hope you stick around, take care.:fist::grinning:

5 Likes

Mine lowered over time. Took a lot of work tho, e.g. diet, exercise.

I keep a log in an app, here’s a distribution of readings after getting sober.

5 Likes

Fantastic to get so many replies! Thank you.

It’s been a hard week and I’ve found myself quite tempted over the past few days. Funny how you think you’ve established a new habit but the old one is still there just under the surface.

5 Likes

Same here. Feel so much better now I’m over 30 days dry, but I don’t think the urge will ever leave me, it’s managing to control it that’s the battle. Every time I want a drink I’m remembering the good times, only the good times. I have to stop and force myself to remember all the complete piece of shit times. The reason I decided to give up wasn’t because of the rose tinted memories I have, it was the bloody horrendous episodes in my life, all caused by “just having one…”
Keep up the good work and keep reminding yourself of your reasons for making a change.

4 Likes

Same here when I’m drinking my blood pressure always sits around 160/110 or so consistently. When not drinking my blood pressure slowly returns to normal.

3 Likes

How long does it take to return to normal? I’m on day 3 off alcohol because it is really messing with my blood pressure

1 Like

Could I ask what app you use? I track mine but it doesn’t graph it out as well as that.

My usual when drinking and taking BP med is 138/86.

I haven’t taken it since stopping drinking 16 days ago, I was kind of waiting to get 4 weeks under my belt.

3 Likes

It’s called BP Joural. The icon looks like this (android)

3 Likes

I have an OMRON machine that syncs the BP history to my phone. We’re the same I’m on a BP med and was still recording 160 over 100 and that terrified me so I quit cold turkey. Can’t wait for normal blood pressure and get off the med for it. I know there’s a direct correlation between me drinking and my BP problems

1 Like

You inspired me to take my BP today even though I had planned at day 28 and I didn’t have a great recuperative sleep last night.
But I am happy that my BP just before lunch was 128/84, which is about as good as it’s been for at least two years.

Thank you greatly, the body is a wondrous thing that can heal itself if taken care of I suppose.

1 Like

That’s fantastic!! That’s the number I want to get back to. It going way up was super frightening. Good for you!!