Books that help and inspire you?

Im stoked for the new movie too! Im becoming one of those ‘the book is way better than the movie’ people lol. I dig audio versions so far! My mind won’t let me sit and physically read for a long period of time though. I’m pretty busy but listening to podcasts and audiobooks helps me learn and keep my mind focused on whatever I’m doing. Plus it gives me something else to look forward to completing. I also don’t like the narrator in my head so hearing other voices is comforting, and not the voices I used to hear telling me to get loaded or do other bad things :wink:

Probably a good thing drowning those particular voices out lol. I’m kind of the opposite though in that i love reading for hrs if the kids allow it! I also have never been able to concentrate or focus if someone reads out loud to me. Now that I’m sober though maybe I’ll have better focus so might give the audio book thing a try :slight_smile:

1 Like

Check out some podcasts too if you haven’t yet. I highly recommend the Mental Illness Happy Hour. It’s a weekly show hosted by a great guy who used to host dinner and a movie and he amdnd a guest talk about specific mental illnesses and struggles and he reads member surveys that are taken online. A lot of it is anonymous and really helps coping with not feeling alone :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I just ordered The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F**, The Naked Mind, and the Four Agreements (3 book set).

The three book set comes with:

The Mastery of Love: A Practical Guide to the Art of Relationships: which focuses on the fears, beliefs, and assumptions regarding love and relationships, how to heal from emotional wounds and restore peace and lightheartedness in our relationships.

and

The Voice of Knowledge: A Practical Guide to Inner Peace which focuses on healing emotional pain, restoring job, and rediscover the power of truthfulness and common sense.

I’m really looking forward to starting these books. Below is the link to the 3 book set if anyone is interested. You can probably find it cheaper somewhere other than Amazon, but I have Amazon Prime so I got free shipping and guaranteed 2 day delivery, LOL.

2 Likes

I’m about 4 chapters into This Naked Mind and I love it. Right now she’s talking a lot about retraining the unconscious mind to align with the concious decision to not drink. Especially yesterday and today, my anxiety is raging and it’s really difficult. But reading her book helps reinforce how wonderful sobriety is and helps me to stay strong and not give in no matter how difficult it gets gets because I know these bad days will pass.

My mom is actually reading the subtle art of not giving a f*** and she said it’s a must read. She is not an addict but she’s been extremely supportive and thinks it’s great I got these books :slight_smile:

1 Like

The Travelers Gift is one of my all time favorites. Currently rereading Awaken the Giant Within by Tony Robbins. The Millionaire Mind is my favorite book on finances.

1 Like

Love this thread. Books are my go to when I need to get back to it. The one book that changed my life and made me realize I have a problem is ‘Drinking: A Love Story’ by Caroline Knapp. Rereading it for the fourth time as I reset the soberity clock. I also enjoyed Naked Mind and Blackout.

1 Like

I just started The Universe Has Your Back by Gabriella Bernstein. Has anyone read it?

I just finished “Lessons I Learned in the Dark” by Jennifer Rothschild. It’s about learning how to let go and let God. Definitely has helped me to see things in a different perspective.

1 Like

Why did this get flagged? I’m not sure what I did wrong here?

Men are from mars women are from venus

I guess that wasnt the right word… I flagged it for myself to refer to it later… sorry! bookmarked would have been better… I’ll pay closer attention to forum lingo

Oh okay, sorry. I was just like with did I do? Lol still kinda new to this forum, just assumed flagged meant I did something I shouldn’t have. We all know what assuming does :grin:

Sober stick figure is hilarious and helpful

1 Like

Just ordered Pour me a:Life by A.A. Gill. anyone read it??