Books that help and inspire you?

Hey all,

Just wondering what books have been helpful to your sobriety. All types of books welcome. They don’t need to be additction or self help related… a great novel that inspires you works too :slight_smile:.

I relapsed yesterday after 40 days, which really sucks, but I’ve been reading “the subtle art of not giving a f*ck” by mark Manson and it’s helped me over the last few weeks to take a look at why I feel certain pressures, which eventually lead me to drinking.

If this topic is already somewhere else, sorry about that!

7 Likes

I am currently reading “you are a badass”. A lot of my drinking issues were due to self image and not finding myself worthy of a good sober life. So this book has been very helpful for me. I really enjoy it!

9 Likes

That’s so funny…I was just looking for new books and was thinking about getting both of the books mentioned so far! Please let me know if they are worth checking out when you finish! @Thetrufflequeen @louwho

I like recovery memoirs and just read, “A Girl Walks Out of a Bar” and “Unwasted”. Both were good quick reads. I liked how “UnWasted” focused on life in recovery, rather then the events leading up to it.

I also just read “Reconstructing Amelia”, which I liked…it had a little mystery to it.

I think everyone should read “The Four Agreements”. It’s a life changer.

I’m also almost finished “Sober For Good” and I’m working on “This Naked Mind” now. Sober for Good talks about all of the different ways people have recovered aside from AA, but it talks about AA as well. Everyone raves about This Naked Mind, but I’m not far enough to have an opinion yet.

I’m so excited that i rediscovered my love of reading!!!

Sorry, I’m bad with authors, but if you want me to find out, just ask :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ve read the “Naked Mind” 4-5 times. I like approaching recovery from an angle that I can take control of my alcohol problem. Not that alcohol has this invisible power over me that I must submit to. I’m not giving anyone or anything power to control my life. Working on that in my relationship. Probably another conversation for another forum.

Finding that beacon of hope goes a very long way in recovery!

Good luck! I’m always around.

5 Likes

*Cherry, The Liar’s Club, and Sinners Welcome all by Mary Karr
*The Glass Castle and Half Broke Horses both by Jeannette Walls
*Angela’s Ashes and Tis’ both by Frank McCourt
*The Recovery Book
*Rewired
*The Naked Mind

3 Likes

There is another post on here like this…
But because I don’t want to look it up
The four agreements is a great read

That sounds like a book Id want to read. I havent been reading alot lately but there’s one book Im working on its called “Big Magic” and its about living a creative life.That everyone has it in them.Basically doing whatever the hell makes you feel good and creating things even if they’re shitty because they make you happy.

2 Likes

That’s a great book. I just finished it. It helped me understand and look at things a differently. I finished an audio book called Dry. I think You might like it. I relapsed not long ago after 30 days. I’m on day 6

1 Like

The Into the wild book,is that about Christopher Mccandless? I just watched the movie on netflix yesterday. Very interesting story that 1.

1 Like

Body for Life

1 Like

I’ve become more into books, well audiobooks, since sobering up. The list of books I’ve finished so far are:
The Nerdist Way, Chris Hardwick
Dirty Daddy, Bob Saget
Jurassic Park, Michael Crichton
The Subtle Art of Not Giving a Fuck, Mark Manson
Be Obsessed or Be Average, Grant Cardone
Kitchen Confidential, Anthony Bourdain
Attempting Normal, Marc Maron
A Life in Parts, Bryan Cranston

Currently Reading Clapton’s Auto Biography and the Andromeda Strain, also by Michael Crichton. Finding solace in books that aren’t about real life but have lots of science and thrills, some self help books by people I admire and memoirs from people I look to for inspiration, especially when they’ve also gone through drug and alcohol issues and are clean amd sober. Looking at starting the Dark Tower series and IT by Stephen King next.

1 Like

Stephen King’s my favourite author,have all of his books. Fantastic escapism :blush:

2 Likes

I’m an Anne Rice fan. I have all the Vampire Chronicles (8), Mayfair Witches, and cross over books.

2 Likes

Let me go get my list for u lol

Thank you all!

The Life Recovery Bible and working the workbook and steps helped me …I was never religious so this Bible is perfect for me in terms of understanding

I’m about to start the audio version of IT and it’s 45 hours long. Stoked to finally hear it!

1 Like

I have found a book called Phycocybernetics by Maxwell Maltz very helpful, it has nothing to do about addiction but more about the focus of the mind, was written a long time back but is still relevant today.

Are audio versions of books good? I’ve never tried 1 before. 45hrs is a fair chunk of time lol,pretty big book though! I read It again a cpl of weeks ago,had to prepare for the remake of the movie coming! Soo excited :smile:

1 Like