Borderline personality disorder Recently diagnosed

I was diagnosed about 3 weeks ago with bpd and I decided to look into it and understand my mental illness. But what I found scared the living hell out of me. I’m spiraling out of control realizing im not normal nor was I ever and the drugs definitely didn’t do me any good.
Im really scared im a 20 year old whose living a Hellish night mare .
I cant ask ppl for help because they would prob think i was seeking attention (bec of the negative connotations that go along with BPD)
if anyone has dealt with this I really need help im really scared im young and I dont know whats coming im really scared

3 Likes

Hey bud… first of all don’t be scared everything will be ok. No one is normal we all have things or issues. You did the right thing by seeking medical advice. Im sure there is some kind of therapy to guide you thru this. And take advise from this old lady lol don’t google medical conditions it will scare the crap outta ya… more times than not it’s not even accurate. Hang in there and keep sober… it’s all going to be ok. :yellow_heart::sunny::blush:

3 Likes

Thank you so much it really means alot to hear from someone who went thru it .
I had a shutter island moment last night think I was the only person who didn’t know i had and it was a scary moment today i was beating myself up but I feel much better now thank you i had no one who was able to relate to what I am experiencing its amazing this the comradory makes me feel like I have protection

2 Likes

Don’t let the diagnosis control you. I have a friend that had around 18 months sober then relapsed. Shortly after they were diagnosed as BPD. Since that time they have struggled to string together much time sober. Further, their behavior has become extremely erratic. They were not like this before their diagnosis.

Take ownership of your mental health. Empower yourself by accepting that you have it then take the steps to better yourself. I’m very open in discussing my MH with people as a way to reduce the stigma around it.

3 Likes

Thats whats scaring me . The fact that I litterally felt like I was a threat to my family and that ill never have a relationship that lasts where I dont push them away…
…if u know of any tips that I can use im open to all ideas I want to control my BPD NOT IT CONTROL ME

1 Like

I’ll leave the advice to therapists and psychiatrists. I’m bi-polar. I was on medication the first 6-7 months of my recovery. I went to a dual diagnosis rehab to learn about the intersection between addiction and mental health. I’ve done a lot of therapy and counseling learning even more about how my diseases manifest themselves in my mind. I was doing very well for 2 years with no manic or depressive episodes. However, over the last 2 months that has changed. Luckily I able to identify when an episode is approaching and can take steps to reduce the episode or eliminate completely. That being said, I’ve been back in therapy for a few months and have a medication management appointment coming up. I no longer feel shame about my diagnosis so it was easy for me to reach out for help.

8 Likes

thank you so much for reaching out i appreciate it aton!!
Ya that may not have been my smartest move to Google it. I got some scary stuff .
How do i break this to my girlfriend also she doesn’t know yet and it could destroy her and I dont want hurt ppl anymore even by accident I cant continue to do that the guilt builds up
And the cycle restarts

2 Likes

I was putting alot of thought do do a dual diagnosis rehab any ideas where would be a beneficial place that specializes in this

1 Like

I went to Cove Forge in Williamsburg PA

1 Like

@CapriciousCapricorn helped me soooo much with this article…
https://www.psychologytoday.com/ca/blog/living-emotional-intensity/201805/the-unexpected-gifts-inside-borderline-personality

Once you get past the stigma you realize there is no “normal” and I choose to view BPD as a super power!! … it means I am a more empathetic person. I can now view my mood swings for what they are and brace myself for them… and it gives my daughters father a chance to understand where I am coming from when I am hot or cold towards him. Its not a bad thing at all so dont view it that way!!! Hope this helps. (I went through this same thing a few weeks ago…) sending you lots of :heart::heart::heart:

2 Likes

Thank you so much :heartbeat: :sob::sob: I really want to learn how to live with it and use it as a super power rather than a curse .
I agree with what u said and what Derek said about not letting my diagnosis control me…
Big mistake I made today thinking of dropping out of premed but I think I should give myself more time to think about it i have a bad track record of making rash decisions and i dont want this to be another

3 Likes

Thank you so much i guess it does make it easier to finally know why I was always so sensitive and why I was in 7 relationships by the time I was 19 …
I dont want to get down about it i. Hoping I’ll be able to process these emotions cause I dont want to spiral out because of this thank you so much for ur support really means the world :heartbeat::heartbeat::heartbeat:

4 Likes

im going to look into it tysm!!!

Best thing you can do is look into DBT and ACCEPTS. These are ways to help with moods and also alil on how we correct our behavior. The hardest thing with bpd is not feeling empathy usually makes me feel awkward. there is good and bad empathy to have. When it comes to mental health its all about staying present and being mindful. Moods can swing faster then hell. making a bpd person flare out of control and lash out or split and sometimes we like to isolate. Also any “favorites” you may struggle also with codependency. They can walk hand in hand together so be careful. We are human, not perfect and there is no cure to this. You can only learn and work on works best for you and be the best you can be.

2 Likes

I recently started DBT therapy . But yes I tottaly relate to the feeling akward I usually like to be alone or hang out with one person or i get social enxiety and think everyone is looking at me so I dont have much of a social life anymore alot 9f my friends from back in the day are very nervous because I dropped everyone so I can’t hurt to many ppl especially the ones I love

1 Like

Ive done alot of the same … when i got clean i cleaned out alot. Everyone drinks and i dont care to be around it. If its just one or two people i can deal i just dont like groups. I mainly stay to myself so i definitely get it. Reading how we think just whats makes it look really bad . Many bpd people are actually very caring individuals. we have never really been shown how to show it. we do feel it …we just dont know how to express it or feel vulnerable and pull back.

1 Like