Boring normality

The longer I live clean, the more normality comes about. It is a dangerous calm, the horrors of addiction are forgotten and that is the danger! The dire consequences are not present. The kicks are missing, everything is normal.

2 Likes

I hear you, Iā€™ve had this at times. By far the most useful and important thing to avoid this for me is to come on TS and read. Especially the check in thread. Following other peoples journeys, especially those just starting out really grounds me and puts me back in my place if Iā€™m ever feeling a bit ā€˜cockyā€™ and like ā€˜I got thisā€™.

10 Likes

Hi, in some ways, boring is good. Itā€™s preferable to how it used to be. But it is only good for so long. How many other ways are there to get kicks?
It can be more difficult in lockdown but do you have any dreams you had but never fulfilled because of your addiction? Perhaps now is a time to think of some new ones. :roll_eyes: I am writing my first book at the moment, for example.
Well done on keeping clean and sober. :grin:

5 Likes

We are responsible for our recovery. If it gets boring we need to switch it up.

I live a very active lifestyle.

When I was drunk, I would talk about doing things, but never got around to 90% of them.

Drinking with the same old crowd, and listening to the same old bullshit. Thats boring!

Sobriety gives me the freedom to do new things, go new places, try new jobs, make new friends. As a drunk It was the same old bars, same old barstools, same old drunksā€¦ Boring!

12 Likes

The thing here is mindset.
I donā€™t worry about whether I will drink or not because the simple thing is, I no longer drink!
Made my peace with this about 18 months ago.
I donā€™t miss it. It was something I did once and got myself in a mess so no longer do.
I can tell you this mate, my life is far from boring.

3 Likes

I definitely am still trying to get over the fear that sober life is ā€œboring.ā€ That was one of my biggest hurdles in starting my journey into sobriety; I was worried everything would be plain and boring.

Iā€™m realizing that my worldview now is much like @JasonFisher. When I was actively drinking I always had this picture in my mind of who I wasā€¦a cool active guy who did a lot of outdoors stuff. In reality I just got drunk all the time and said I would do all those things.

Now that Iā€™m sober I can, and actually do, do all the things I always wanted to do and talked about doing. So to me, sobriety is actually less boring.

Iā€™m more active, thereā€™s less time sitting inside just drunk and I have so much more time to enjoy life.

I do still have to fight the feeling that Iā€™m missing out when I see my friends drinking or drive by a crowded brewery on a nice day. Then I just remind myself of all the bad that comes along with that lifestyle and it always keeps me grounded and sober.

7 Likes

Go to a beginners meeting.

1 Like

The illusion that I was missing out on something tricked me into drinking again after almost 10 years of sobriety.

I got bored with recovery.

I was missing out on all the insanity from drinking and or/using drugs and I found it again.

It wasnt worth it.

5 Likes

Thatā€™s good to hear and itā€™s especially helpful to know that temptation of breaking away from the ā€œboringā€ can lure you back after such a long period of sobriety.

How long did it take you to get back to sobriety after that?

1 Like

it took 8 years. The obsession to control my drinking took over immediately. Looking back now with some recovery back under my belt, it blows me away how powerful alcoholism is.

Hibernation describes it perfectly.

5 Likes

I am dealing with the same struggles as you rn. This very moment. I feel bored with sobriety and itā€™s only been a day. I usually drink while cleaning my house. Now Iā€™m looking at the things I need to do around the house and dont feel motivated without the beer. But, in all honesty. I would only clean until my buzz became a drunk and could no longer clean because I was too intoxicated. Or I would finish cleaning and pass out early, only to feel like crap when I woke up. Try writing a list of the reasons why you dont want to drink. And reflect on the list when you start to feel bored. Then try to find a sober activity to keep the alcoholic part of your brain distracted. Good luck. You are not alone. Hang in there. And i will do the same.

3 Likes

Wow. Good for you for getting it back under control. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

I remember reading guys on here who pulled their house apart cleaning in their early days!
@Dejavu even documented his numourous trips to the tip with rubbish that heā€™d cleaned out.
Mindset plays a big big part in the recovery process.
We have to change how we perceive having fun.
Itā€™s a life changing experience this getting sober lark you know?

2 Likes

Thats right! 2 years later, Iā€™m still at it! :rofl:

3 Likes