Brain Fog after 45 days of Sobriety

Anyone else experience brain fog that doesn’t want to seem to lift after weeks of abstinence?

I was a moderate and sometimes heavy binge drinker for nearly 10 years and I used cocaine heavily for 1.5 years before quitting 45 days ago. I cannot seem to lift the brain fog.

I take a multivitamin, B12 supplement and Omega 3 supplement daily to replenish the nutrients that I’ve depleted from my body through substance use. Overall, I am healthy and feel good. I exercise fairly regularly. I’ll be 30 next month.

All in all I feel great physically but mentally slowed down as though I lack clarity and focus. Will this ever lift?

UPDATE:
It is day 50 and the fog has finally started lifting. I’ve been getting better rest and waking up more refreshed which has been contributing to a more wakeful mind. Thank you all for the suggestions!

6 Likes

Following. Having same issue

2 Likes

I hope we both find the answers we need. Congrats on your journey

1 Like

That is totally normal. Drug and alcohol abuse does a number on your brain’s chemistry. It can take up to 2 years for your brain to return to normal. It will get better with time. What helps is a balanced diet, exercise and regular sleep patterns. Vitamin B complex and magnesium may help as well.

By 60 to 90 days, it should be gone.

5 Likes

Thank you, I need to be more steadfast in my diet, slow yet growing progress.

That’s strange to me. My long-time fog was lifting around that time. It comes from drinking, not abstinence.

It’s probably the flatline - period of body readjusting itself :innocent:

1 Like

Yes that is what I meant, brain fog caused by drinking and doing drugs. I thought it would lift around this time but I’m still experiencing adverse effects.

1 Like

It might be helpful to read up about PAWS. I had brain fog for probably 4 months.

7 Likes

Like @aircircle said, read up on PAWS.
You’re doing all the right things. And this too shall pass

1 Like

Im having the same issues with foggy thinking/trouble remembering also with motor coordinatin. Read PAWS post as suggested.
22 days clean from amphetamines, thc and acid.
Good Luck :innocent:

6 Likes

Amphetamines and thc could play a role in the brain fog problem, I agree, though acid? That even isn’t addictive. What sort of problems did You have, that You decided to quit using it as well?

1 Like

I hope you’re not advocating for LSD by saying it’s not addictive. This is Talking Sober where we discuss and aim for sobriety. Even if something isn’t addictive (LSD is debatable), if it causes you to be impaired when using it, it’s considered using.

6 Likes

Im not saying I am addicted to Acid. I was using it occasionally, but this time I want to stay away from all the drugs and booze.

1 Like

Fair point :innocent:

I know, I just stated what science knows so far about psychedelics’ addictive potential.
Obviously using any type of psychoactive substances go against total sobriety, even energy drinks.
What do You think?

Watch the Roadmap to recovery, search it on the forum.

It will explain what your facing maybe (did for me and many)

1 Like

This is a TOTAL sobriety app. Not a “little bit” or “less extensive” app if that makes it clearer for you

3 Likes

Congrats Yogi on the brain fog clearing. I am on day 56 and still get symptoms from time to time so dont feel like your alone because you are not we are in this together and that goes for evryone.

1 Like