Brutally Honest post

Hi guys I’m still around.
I’m going through a difficult time at the moment because I had my detox from drinking a while ago and still in the midst of my relapse just now I’m growing increasingly intolerant to alcohol! (Yes I need to abstain again but I’m not back at that stage mentally)
I just wondered has anyone else after detox relapsed and developed a sensitivity to alcohol which they didn’t have before. Again I’m not lying just really want to understand my body better until I am able to get back off it again.
(I only drink wine in small quantities everyone other day) even one glass gives me hot flush in my face. Thanks!
Please be kind x

3 Likes

My DOC is not alcohol but I wanted to thank you for your bravery and courageous. Gentle hugs.

1 Like

Keep it up good luck this place works for sure

1 Like

Hugs too thank you :kissing_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Hi there ,that without a doubt is the allergic reaction to alcohol, I had the same thing ,it started off as blotches then went to my eyes …as soon as you drink the allergy kicks in we just dont notice it our selves,because it effects our behaviour more and we are unaware of the physical effects its having …have a read up about alcohol allergys ,it really puts into place how this allergy effects you because whilst you are still drinking the other side of the allergy ( the craving is what causes the anxiety and the need to drink more, it’s a vicious circle)…I went through all of this after 23 of years of addiction and slowly but surely as i stayed away from drinking all the craving effects started to fade away ,I’m now 11 months in with such a better understanding of my body and my mind …I hope this has helped and I’m more than happy to share more on this if it helps :grin:

6 Likes

Congrats on 11 months! That’s awesome. @Verte_yeux I don’t have personal experience with developing the allergic reaction to alcohol but my best friend from college was allergic to tannin in red wine and gluten which is in beer. We drank beer all through college and she just thought everyone had the same physical reaction to drinking. Wasn’t until later that she figure out she was actually allergic to ingredients in what she was drinking. Sounds like you’re having the same kind of reaction. Wishing you well on your sober journey. We’re here to help however we can.

1 Like

What’s stopping you from being at the point of wanting to abstain? If alcohol is making you ill then that sounds like a good motivation to stop!

When you did your detox before, was that medically assisted? And have you been in any type of program? I suppose I’m wondering what you’ve tried, what worked for you and what hasn’t.

A reminder that the forum is a place to discuss getting and staying sober and if you feel like you need to post under the influence, you can opt in to the seeking help section :blush:

4 Likes

I did detox at rehab last month and they medically did it with phenabarbitol for the dt’s and gabapentin for anxiety and panic attacks. My DOC was alchohol, benzos and opioids ( coke back in early 90’s) it was the best thing I could have ever done for myself and my my family. I’m doing IOP now for 8 weeks or so. I feel fantastic and so much more healthier, going to gym and walking every night. My doctor has me on naltrexone for cravings and it’s working great.

3 Likes

You are doing amazing @ReneeAnn!

2 Likes

Hi Verte

I think this isvwhat they call the kindling effect. If I’m wrong someone correct me. It’s where you do a drug you stop a drug and start again. The withdrawals can be worse and worse.

I’m pretty sure she is aiming for permenant sobriety but is just struggling at the moment and trying to prepare herself mentally for it :slightly_smiling_face:
We have your back @Verte_yeux it’s nice to see you back :+1:

3 Likes

Here’s an interesting article on it.

Further, those who struggle with heavy and/or binge drinking, or otherwise have developed significant alcohol dependence may experience hot flashes as a symptom of alcohol withdrawal.

My experience was this had less to do with relapsing and more to do with continued drinking. For me it was a precursor to night sweats, a more advanced form of the same problem I guess?

Quitting drinking, slow increase of exercise, better diet and lots of water and for me it just didn’t happen once I was safely thru the early withdrawl.

Actually, I got hot/sweat a lot less in general after a couple months getting back in shape!

1 Like

A couple of things I’d like to raise here! I’m in control enough when I post I am sober I don’t drink everyday or all the time. Secondly I’ve been round here for a few months I have seen many people post “under the influence”. Thirdly I literally was asking a question and now have done my own research to realise I was intolerant to the sulphites in that particular wine I am drinking. Lastly I chastise my drinking a lot more than anyone else!
Final post closing my account! Good luck to you all! Bye!

1 Like

That’s why I didn’t move your post to seeking help :blush: Just thought I’d mention it in case you need to reach out after you have had a drink. Whenever I see someone posting obviously under the influence, I move posts - I’m here a lot but I don’t read everything! Anyone can move posts to seeking help (if you’re opted in) but you can always flag posts or ask someone else to move them if you’re concerned.

It’s not clear if your post is in response to me (could be my ego!!)… If it is, and you don’t feel that you want to be on the forum that’s obviously up to you but please don’t feel that I was in any way trying to suggest you leave.

My questions about where you’re at were also genuine and came from a place of kindness and concern. Feel free to reach out to me by DM if you want to chat more about this. Otherwise I will wish you all the very best and hope you find the path to sobriety that works for you :pray::sparkling_heart:

2 Likes

I’m in a heartfelt place at the moment I have suffered enough with anxiety and panick attacks I returned to alcohol in a measured manner due to many reasons (none of which are excuses) to now accept I am intolerance to this is hard enough actually I feel it’s worse than addiction because your intolerant to your own affliction in life and one that had been somewhat dependable when the world screws me over. I now have lost that relationship worse because it’s not through choice! I’m already in grief from a bereavement and now this I’m very upset and a little bewildered.

2 Likes

That is difficult, @Verte_yeux. I’ve seen you posting around and feel you on how difficult it is. The anxiety in particular. To this day it’s something I’m working through.

So likewise I apologize if what I shared read as an attack. I recall feeling similar physically is all, though I was quite more active at that point than you described.

I appreciate where you’re coming from though and hope you’ll stick around. In any case, we’ll always be here.

2 Likes