Californians did you know?

In case you didn’t know. If you have a job and you are attempting to start sobriety and you go see a doctor and tell them, you can get into a program and ask them to put you on State Disability so you don’t have to work while also attempting sobriety. This helps some people to focus on sobriety and removes the stress from work.
But most of all, Remember to start saying I can do this rather then I can’t. Change the mind that is talking to you and you will see change slowly.

4 Likes

You’ll be happy to know that this is actually federal policy as well. Addiction, in it’s various forms, is classified as a disease/disorder under the DSM-V. Therefore, under the ADA you can ask for reasonable accommodation to treat it (such as rehab, etc). I’ve actually done this before. I would highly suggest discussing this with your HR (it will remain confidential, trust me) to see what the process is. There are some professions where taking 30 days off for inpatient treatment is not considered reasonable. However, it is rare. And yes, while you are out, you qualify for temporary/short term disability, just as anyone would who is seeking medical treatment.

5 Likes

Fabulous information Thena! Thank you SO much for sharing! FMLA is also an option to protect your job, also Federal.

1 Like