Campral-did anyone here try it?

Just started campral today-did it help anyone here?

3 Likes

Never heard of it…welcome and good luck…I am sure others will relate

Hi…is campral other term for Gabapentin?

No it’s totally different drug.

Welcome Bev! No, I haven’t tried it. I’m highly skeptical of most pharmaceuticals and this one has tons of possible interactions and side affects including depression and suicidal thoughts. I hope you have success but please be very careful.

Can’t be worse than a bottle or more a night of wine

Its generic name is acamprosate - there’s useful info in the national medical library info:

2 Likes

Thanks Matt… this is one of the drugs suggested to my youngest son by one of his doctors. They decided on a different one, but I like knowing the info on these meds.

1 Like

Warm welcome to the community, Bev. I’m happy you’re here and working on your sobriety. :blush::purple_heart:

1 Like

As with all medications, a doctor with knowledge of addiction and recovery & the range of helpful programs is essential for any medical advice and prescriptions.

The Medline page I linked above advises that this medication, if it is used (and if used, only under a prescription by a doctor), should be “used along with counseling and social support” (Acamprosate: MedlinePlus Drug Information). There’s a good list of helpful programs here:

Resources for our recovery

1 Like

I got offered it but didn’t try it

1 Like

I used it some years ago, for me it didn’t work. My addictive mind just went through it. What I read about it at that time was that it works for some and for some it doesn’t. As with most things I geuss :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Yes, I tried it once when I wanted a quick fix, it didn’t help and I quit.
A fair bit later, I was more willing to put in work, got a sponsor, etc, and starting taking my leftovers. I didn’t have cravings but didn’t know if it was the campral or the better attitude.
It can only help if u are in the right frame of mind, imho.

3 Likes