Can a sober person take CBD oil?

Just found an isolate formula that contains no THC. The banana flavor was on sale for $11.99 instead of $41, I ordered to try.

Damn. They mustā€™ve changed since I last bought some. Everything I ever ordered was 0% thc.
Yeah of course, I hope you find the right one for you.

1 Like

I have always found that so strange. Where Iā€™m from they donā€™t sell liquor anywhere but the liquor store.
All of the beer at the grocery store was 3.2% until just recently when it changed to 5%.

1 Like

Hi, welcome to the forum!

I suffer from most types of anxiety, OCD and social anxiety being the two biggest. The first few months are tough, really tough, but itā€™s also where you learn your coping skills. The thing is, we have almost zero coping skills that donā€™t involve our drug of choice, so we have to build new ones. My psychiatrist wouldnā€™t allow me to try CBD for this very reason. She wanted me to experience everything I could without adding any other outside supplements. She has me take a multi vitamin, a D supplement, and the medications I was on. We later got rid of some of the medications. Also, my mother had suggested that Omega 3 supplements helped with anxiety, her psychiatrist had recommended it. Turns out she is not wrong.

Iā€™m fortunate in that I went the mental health route from day 1 of my recovery, so I found myself in a place that dealt with concurring disorders. This landed me with a new psychiatrist and therapist that both specialize in addiction medicine. With your history of social anxiety I might recommend the same. My anxiety disorders were what I was trying to self medicate and I donā€™t think recovery would have been possible if I didnā€™t do a lot of hard work on the psychological issues underneath it all.

6 Likes

Honestly, I would love to try CBD but where I live in Asia itā€™s not legal and that would be the last thing I would want to go to jail for. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
For me chocolate helped a LOT at first. As did extra carbsā€¦ I gained some weight but gaining sobriety is worth it.
I take:
Multi B
Omega 3
Zinc
Vit A
Turmeric
Vit.C
Adrenal Support Blend
Magnesium for sleep
I am trying (not easy) to give up coffee.
Trying to eat better but also give myself grace. 20+ years of booze I got some healing to do.
All the best to you. You can do it. One day at a time.
FL is lovely. Once upon a time I lived in Tarpon Springs. Maybe someday when I am 55+ I could live there again. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::blue_heart:

2 Likes

i think its all to do with personal preference - as a sober person, myself, i will not use CBD oil.

ā€¦ although i did have a really wacky experience with it pre-sobriety and ended up getting super stoned from a CBD tea shop in brooklyn. lots of people find it super helpful with anxiety and i think thats awesome. :hugs:

It should not have THC in it or such trace amounts they canā€™t be detected. I would research the brand you are using as some have a level of THC thatā€™s too high. My poor little old momma tested positive. So just do your research. Iā€™ve tried it and it doesnā€™t do anything for me. If you find benefits and itā€™s a safe brand, and itā€™s not triggering, I would think it fine. Itā€™s not mind or mood altering. However, I have seen strong opinions on this topic. If you search yourself, only you know the answer as to whether or not this is safe for your sobriety.

I wouldnā€™t consider utilizing CBD with no THC as breaking my sobriety. Everyone gets to decide for themselves though. There are so many different types of CBD, so do check to be sure yours is THC free if that is an issue for you.

And I also was a wine drinker and like C-sun mentions, I craved sugar like mad when I was getting sober. I didnā€™t have a problem indulging my sweet tooth for a time. If you have disordered eating or body issues, you may need to approach sugar consumption with more thought and care.:heart:

3 Likes