Cannabis withdrawals

Hi everyone! I am on my 3rd day without smoking at all, I am quitting cold turkey, I have a history of depression and anxiety. That’s why I started with thc but I became a heavy user, pretty much every day 2 to 3 times a day for prob 6 years. I just became a dad and well that’s enough reason for me to quit.
I am struggling a lot, I am showing severe anxiety, nausea, nerve pain mostly on my back? Loss of appetite, can’t sleep, hot flashes, chills, leg cramps? Constipation but sometimes diarrhea? Lethargy. I am just overwhelmed and panicking that I might have something else going on, but most likely are symptoms of withdrawal.

Has anyone experienced something like this? Or should I be worried ? How long does symptoms typically last on average?

Thanks

7 Likes

I only got headaches but we didn’t have the kind of cannabis there is now. I’ve heard out west they lace it with other drugs calling it “enhancers”. All mind altering drugs trick your body to produce more dopamine which your body produces naturally. Your body can only produce so much and eventually runs out. Your body also realizes that it’s being tricked and will stop releasing. That’s why if you buy and smoke an oz at first it’s good but by the end of the bag you’re like this sucks. Just ride it out, you’re not going to die just uncomfortable for a short time compared to the time you spent hurting your body. You would be amazed how resilient the human body is. You can’t be beat by something so petty, you got this!

3 Likes

Thank you! I really like that quote. “You can’t be beat by something so petty”. Just need to stay strong and try to ease every symptom. Recovery is hard but I got this.

2 Likes

The first week is by far the worst but I think it can last longer. Pretty much everything you listed are withdrawal symptoms of coming off THC.
Congratulations on your new baby!

3 Likes

Yeah, I was reading it can take up to 3 weeks :weary: FML.
I am treating all this like if I had the flu, tons of fluids, fruits, vegetables and mild exercise because I feel weak, and dizzy. Hopefully time will fly plus the baby is giving me strength. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

3 Likes

It can take up to 3 to 6 weeks for the cannabis to be completly out of your system. That being said, it doesnt mean that the symptomes will last that long.
I have been there…i am cannabis free since april 28 2023. I never would have imagined that it could lead to this many physical problemes…if you can rest, do it! Its important for your body to recover…and remember that now you deal with your anxiety by yourself and nothing else. This uses up tones of energy.
You can try doing breathing exercises and when i feel anxious i just name everything i see in the room…it helps me to take control of my thoughts.
It took time for me and since i was using pills and smoked at night to calm me down…my energy level is just coming back…but after blood tests i have no health proboemes…my body needs time to recover…be patient with yourself…you are doing great…and congrads for taking this decision.

4 Likes

Almost 4 months! Congrats!
It is really amazing how much is affecting my whole body and nervous system but it just shows how potent the strains are these days. Thank you for the feedback; one day at a time. And yes I am gonna have to deal with anxiety but I have been practicing meditation and is helping a lot.
Cheers! :smiling_face:

2 Likes

I smoked like 10/12 joints a day for 6 years (and a lot before that too, but not during the day), and experienced some of your withdrawal symptoms like the lack of appetite, chills, no sleep, full anxiety, anger, lethargy etc. Like others said it won’t last, hang on !! Physical symptoms may last a few weeks, psychological symptoms may last a lot longer. I don’t think there are definite rules, it depends on the grip THC had on you I guess. By the way, it shows you that THC is not the sweet harmless drug they talk about…

Becoming a dad is not “enough reason”, it’s the best reason!!! Congratulations for your child and your decision.
I have two daughters and smoked a lot when and after my oldest was born. It’s stupid, lots of regret. I quit when my youngest was born (with a few relapses, and back to those symptoms again). It’s really the best thing you can do for you and your family :blue_heart:

2 Likes

I second what another commenter said, if you can, rest.

Few outside the recovery community will understand what a massive and difficult task you are undertaking: living without drugs.

The early days are difficult because it’s a mix of physical symptoms and too little evidence of the eventual beauty and magic that your sobriety will bring.

That beauty eventually becomes the reason to keep “living with” yourself rather than the early days of “living without” your drug of choice.

If you have a partner, your children’s mother, communicate with her. Negotiate the boundaries of your needing and requiring rest and support and understanding as you summon the strength to do what we all know you can do!

Choose YOURSELF each day. Choose to stay close to yourself each day. Choose to let the fullness of your emotions and feelings flow through you, no matter how difficult.

Trust you have the strength and stamina and power to remain committed to yourself, your child, your journey, your choice to live a life as YOU.

Free from dependence on a source outside yourself.

Rest. These symptoms are a reminder that your soul and essence are flooding back into you.

Ride the wave. Come here for support. And remember Walt Whitman——

“These feelings come and go from me again but they are not the me myself.”

This too shall pass.

Rest. Be strong. Come here for support.

2 Likes