Can't download images

Howdy, @Robin. Been mentioned around, but the Download link for images hasn’t worked for a good while now. If you click any image, then click the little “Download” link below it, the browser popup comes back with this:

“This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it.”

Seems to happen regardless of platform (at least on Android and PC, in and out of the app).

1 Like

(jumps on his PC to ‘Save As…’)

I remember this issue, but I haven’t been able to solve it. It works for me on PC though.

When you click this link…?

It seems to happen for me regardless of browser and if I’m signed in or not. :man_shrugging:

Oh weird. I just noticed that on PC my habit is to open in new tab, then Save As, which works. Clicking on specifically the “download” button you circled in red is breaking consistently for me.

1 Like

@Robin, I’ve noticed that the problem image URLs leading to that XML error information actually work if you take the GET request noise off the end.

Example (query values omitted for clarity, so don’t try this particular URL):

https://talkingsoberfiles.s3.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/original/3X/d/d/ddd4a1c3aacf1089f2088ec7ed36c99cfa07ef63.png?response-content-disposition=&X-Amz-Algorithm=&X-Amz-Credential=&X-Amz-Date=&X-Amz-Expires=&X-Amz-SignedHeaders=&X-Amz-Signature=

But removing the query parameters gives a usable URL:

https://talkingsoberfiles.s3.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/original/3X/d/d/ddd4a1c3aacf1089f2088ec7ed36c99cfa07ef63.png

So the download link is pointing to an image that is technically still there, but the actual link requests it in a way that causes an error. Looks to me like the S3 URL that’s generated is intended to expire after 15 seconds, but the forum attempts to serve it long after that.

2 Likes

Nudge nudge. :grin:

I’ve just tried downloading some memes on the meme thread and it wouldn’t let me, it was bringing up the error screen that your posted a screen shot of. That’s through the webpage using Chrome on Android.
@Eke when you go in to a thread and read the comments and then come out of that thread does it update that you have read the comments? It’s not been updating then for around six weeks for me now, it had gotten a little better. It’s frustrating as hell. :slightly_smiling_face:

Yep, think there’s another feedback thread for that lil bug too.

I did contact robin about it though I’m not sure that he figured it out. :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

I just tried this today, and I was able to download images as expected! Has it been fixed? Did I just get lucky (only a couple images tested)? I don’t know, but I’m happy about it!

2 Likes

You’re right! Woohoo, steal all the memes! :partying_face:

1 Like

It is an old thread.

I know, it had just been a long standing problem and yesterday was the first time in a long time it had worked for me.

2 Likes