Celebrate Recovery. Codependency

I attended a celebrate recovery meeting and they talked about codependency… ive tried to google it but didnt find out much… so what is codependency? Just relying on someone else?

1 Like

Its about going out of your way for others to feel wanted or needed by someone even if u dont want to or feel comfortable doing it. Sometimes u will shut your life off for this person. This can sometimes can cause depression or anxiety if you dont get the response u want from them. If you have any traits of BPD it tends to happen in any relationship you have.

3 Likes

Codependency can be a pretty fuzzy concept.

When I think of codependency, I think of:

People that form unhealthy attachments to other people.

And it’s extremely hard for them to unattach. The object of these attachments can be a friend, a parent, a child, or someone at work, etc. The most common object is a spouse or a lover.

And these attachments lead the person to enable an addict or set poor boundaries. The unhealthy attachment then impacts the codependent’s life in a very negative way.

Many spouses admit to being codependent with their partners that struggle with addiction. They admit to being addicted to the addict.

4 Likes