Chasing after someone who might be running away?

im haven such a hard night tonight. just finished a couples therapy session with my partner…ex partner… idk they were just shut off from the whole process tonight, they were untalkative and sloaching away with the arms crossed as if to somehow physically block everyone away. And there i was sitting close to the therapist, making eye contact trying my best to communicate my side, trying to do my best to get what i can out of a 200 dollar appointment.

i know that my drinking has caused so many issues including the trust we had to be destroyed. but i feel like im chasing after someone who is running away. i know i’ve only been sober for 16 days and i know im jumping the gun buy wanting things to move more quickly but if they turely given up i don’t want to make them feel guilty for choosing that. i dont know how im suppose to show affection towards them since they have shut me out but then verbally say that they still care.

i just feel lost

2 Likes

I’m sorry your feeling lost… it’s such a sad lonely place. Maybe just out right ask your partner if this is something they want to work and fix. The answer may hurt and not be what you want to hear but you should just know. Trust your gut… I have a feeling you already know the answer. Maybe they aren’t comfortable with the therapist. Try to talk it out before your next session. It’s cheesy and very cliche but like they say the truth will set you free. Hope things get better for you. And congrats on 16 days that’s awesome!! Proud of you!

1 Like

i have asked them straight out and all they tell me is they want to be in a relationship but they dont know if they can …which is an honest answer but such a confusing one. this was our second time ever going to couples counseling so maybe it was just to much idk

1 Like

Ya that is confusing they don’t know if they can… sounds like they can’t right now. But maybe try another session maybe things will get better and they’ll open up.

i would love to do that but they told the therapist they didn’t want to reschedule another appointment until they were ready… so im just being going to have to be patience i guess

1 Like

I’m in a very similar situation, message me anytime if ya ever wanna talk for get stuff off ur chest. I’m 16 days sober also