Check-In: May is Mental Health Month!

Good Morning Friends,

Have I told you lately how much I love this forum?

May is Mental Health Awareness Month. With that being said, sobriety and addiction often overlap with mental health conditions. How have you been feeling lately?

As for me, I would say I’m in the solid yellow phase.

:yellow_heart::yellow_heart::yellow_heart::yellow_heart::yellow_heart::yellow_heart::yellow_heart::yellow_heart::yellow_heart::yellow_heart::yellow_heart::yellow_heart::yellow_heart::yellow_heart::yellow_heart::yellow_heart::yellow_heart::yellow_heart::yellow_heart:

I’m 5 days sober and doing well, but my pink cloud is fading and my symptoms are resurfacing. I live with Mixed Bipolar Disorder, PTSD, and Panic Disorder w/ Agoraphobia. Lately I have been experiencing mood swings, anxiety, agitation, fatigue, wide spread pain, and insomnia. On the upside, my avoidant behavior has decreased, my circulation is improving, I have been more conversational, more productive, and quick to laughter.

If you or someone you know has questions or comments about living with these disorders, or others, please feel free to share! I am an open book.

So, how are you feeling? Don’t be silent.

3 Likes

51 days sober first time going this long in 20 years, I’m doing well with the physical withdrawal, but the mental aspect has been tough, anxiety and delusional thinking is super scary, bug I realized alcohol made it worse…the more days I continue to go I get better mental clarity, I know it won’t go away over night but a healthy mind set is worth it

1 Like

Wow! What a milestone!! Thank you for sharing. I definitely relate to everything you’re saying and you’re absolutely right. The clarity has been my most favorite. I wouldn’t trade it for anything. Try finding new routines to keep yourself busy. Distraction is a healthy and useful coping skill. Hang in there!

1 Like

This forum was the best thing that I could have found when I was first getting sober! Such a great place to go when I was feeling triggered.

@Jayms1989 Congratulations on five days!! How are you feeling today??

:orange_heart::orange_heart: I’m doing pretty good. I don’t have anywhere to go or anything to do so it makes me feel pretty calm.

I don’t have diagnosed agoraphobia but I’m pretty sure I have mild symptoms of it. How do you handle it?? This whole “quarantine” thing has been great and terrible at the same time. Everyone I know is just itching to get out and I’m over here like nope, I don’t need to leave my house ever again. I’ve been home for 42 days and only left twice to go to the grocery store. I only went to the store because I MADE myself go. I was feeling great those days and know that the more I stay inside the less likely I’ll want to go out when this is over. I was panicked that I was going to be the pigeon girl!

I hate going anywhere or doing anything that I’m not already familiar with.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing your story! I feel great! Today is one week sober!! I feel completely willing and ready to endure this, more than that, I want it.

My Agoraphobia stems from severe panic attacks. I have a generalized fear of people or being trapped due to abuse, trauma, and the possibility of having a panic attack or facing humiliation in public. My sobriety has greatly helped this, but I’m afraid the only way out is through. I still am a home body and dont leave unless I have to, or if I’m feeling challenged by motherhood to do better. I practice exposure therapy as much as possible, listen to my body, remain aware of my limitations and triggers, rely on my safe person and make hydration a priority. It seems silly but something as simple as chugging water can help calm my breathing and slow my shaking. My panic attacks are less disabling these days, but I’m sure I will live with anxiety forever. I agree this quarantine has been both a blessing and a curse. I’ve adjusted, but I found the first month to be triggering and enabling and I took a few steps back.

I hope this helps!! You’re not alone. :heart:

1 Like

Congrats on one week! That’s so awesome! It’s HUGE! I think that wanting it is the biggest key to making changes. Everyone always says you have to get sober for yourself, not your kids, spouse, family, etc. It just won’t have a chance to work long term if you don’t want it for yourself.

I like the water idea. I’ll have to try it, though not too much water because if I have to go to the restroom in a public place forget it. Not because it’s dirty or anything but just out of fear of… I don’t know what. I’ve been known to abandon my cart just because I had to go to the restroom. Embarrassment for needing to use a public restroom? It’s bananas, I know.

This was really helpful. Thanks! It’s something I should spend more time exploring since I have a lot of time on my hands right now because my office is closed. I always feel like I’m just shoving and rushing my way through the anxiety, and then I get done and it all went by like a blur and I don’t feel like I actually got anything useful out of it.

1 Like

Thank you! That’s not very unusual. My girlfriend can’t use public restrooms either. It’s normal to feel uncomfortable during this process, be gentle with yourself. :heart: