Child in alcohol

So saw my older brother today who gave me the pearl of wisdom that my parents used to put my dummy in their drink at the pub and give it back to me
Did i ever stand a chance

6 Likes

Welcome back. I’ve heard of parents doing that for teething babies back in the day. I know I was given beer in my bottle as a baby to make me go to sleep, my problems with alcohol can’t be squarely pinned on that though, plenty falls on me…

What are you doing for your sobriety now? How have you been doing?

7 Likes

Oh fuck. I am sorry for you.
I am no doctor or neuroscientist but the thing is that things have been done and we now have to handle the present. Making the best of it. And things like this, I mean knowing about it can give you maybe a better understanding, one piece of the whole puzzle. And give yourself some self-compassion. But today, no matter what it doesn’t help you to blame someone. I mean, I still like to blame people for things but it doesn’t help long. I have to find a way to accept it, forgive them and go on in my journey. I am not saying forget the past. I don’t think it’s a good approach. But dealing with it might help you to find some peace and put it back as a memory and not a hidden secret somewhere from where it can attack you.

It’s good that you are back. Working in the present moment.

1 Like

I mentioned this in a post recently. I’d been given whiskey for my gums when I teethed, amongst many other times I was allowed to ‘try’ alcohol as a kid in the way that it amused adults.

Here’s another one for you. I was born underweight and over a month premature. The doctor had told my mum that she shouldn’t give up smoking in case it caused her, or me, any distress during pregnancy.

Be as angry as you like about prehistoric attitudes towards alcohol, but your parents were duped too. In my opinion it’s okay and natural to be annoyed over it, but channel that anger into action. There was far less information available to our parents about the dangers of alcohol, smoking, drugs etc in their day. Their doctors smoked, and often alcoholics themselves.

So… change the story.

I might have to handle one day at a time, but I know my kids will be outside the box thinkers on what society deems as acceptable, regular consumption of ethanol.

7 Likes