Choosing a Home Group; Advice for Newcomers?

25 days clean and sober. I went to a new NA meeting alone for the first time in my area. I am starting my 90 meetings in 90 days today. I picked up a welcome tag, and heard some wise words from recovering addicts… I really want to make sure I get this Recovery thing right this time.

Looking for any advice for a Newcomer like me…

AA vs. NA?

How did you choose your home group?

What makes a “Good” meeting?

Etc…

1 Like

Congrats on 25 days of sobriety!!

No need to put labels on a group. I didnt designate a homegroup until after a year sober and just realized i wouldnt miss this mtg for my life! Just get to as many meetings as possible and get a variety to keep things interesting

3 Likes

Congratulations on ur 25 daya clean and sober!!! And way to go on attending meetings!

Initally my journey started in NA. I spent many, many months in those rooms and to this day really enjoy them. I do find tho that AA seems to have people with longer sobriety. Dont get me wrong, NA has people with long term sobriety also but the NA meetings in my area were unfortunately a revolving door. Lots of people struggled and it just seemed harder to find a sponsor with long term clean time. I did the steps thru AA bcuz i was able to find a sponsor with like 25 years of sobriety. And i really enjoy the Big Book of AA when doing my steps. As for finding a home group, i chose the group that i felt the most comfortable in and the one i attended most often. One where i developed some friendships and where I felt at “home” in. Its the place where i began doing service work and where i began to feel involved and apart of something.
But again this is just my experience. Both NA and AA meetings are fantastic and i think as long as u are doing ur 90 in 90, thats a great start!! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you!!

1 Like

Congrats on 25 days!

What makes a good meeting is an individual opinion. What I take from a meeting may be very different from another person at that same meeting. There’s a variety of different types. I suggest you go to as many as you can and you’ll find what works for you.

Keep an open mind, look for similarities rather than differences, and take what you need and leave the rest. Do the same on this forum.

Wishing you the best on your journey.

3 Likes

Awesome. I think I plan on mixing it up to find the best fit for me. Thank you.

1 Like

I appreciate the feedback. I’m really trying to get things right this time. Thank you!!

1 Like

Lisa’s advice on meetings is spot on. Just try a bunch at first!

One thing I was recommended was to find meetings where they “stay in the solution.” Meetings that are across the board dumpfests don’t really help me get and stay sober.

If I hear hope, honesty, and insights into how people aren’t upset about yesterday so much as living their best today, that’s what can help me. There’s a solution to find there.

3 Likes

That is what I experienced tonight. A lot of LONG clean time among the group and everyone shared on their growth and how despite the storms still roll in, you never have to use again.

Thank you!

1 Like