Chronic Hives - Sobriety

Almost 90 days sober. I was diagnosed with CIU couple years ago, it’s basically chronic hives. I haven’t had any BAD episodes with the hives in about a year, until yesterday. I’m now on day two and going crazy. I used to drink when they hit. It might help or it might not, but I was drunk, so… I’ve never dealt with this condition sober. I’ve maxed out on meds today. Sometimes they get so bad my throat start closing up, then epi-pen and ER.
I’m sorry I’m ranting. I don’t even know if there’s anything anyone can do. I’m letting some time pass before I take some benadryl. Could not earlier, as I was working. But, I’ve had more than the norm allergy meds and 4 pepcid (H2 blocker). I just want to drink. I just want the itching to stop.
Sorry for ranting. Just trying to get past this. This is the worst craving yet. I’m in tears.

2 Likes

I went through a stage @christinecarol that lasted a few years of getting hives, sounds similar to you - epi pen always at the ready. I’d wake up and it would look like my entire body was covered in blisters sometimes. I got alopecia at the same time so all my hair fell out, I guess my body was just having some kind of massive freak out :upside_down_face:
They never did work out what caused it so I guess I’m just lucky that it went away eventually, but it took many years.

It sucks so much, but you know what will suck more? Having a stinking hangover and dealing with it then.

Hives made me feel very powerless, like my body was fighting against me and there was nothing I could do. But quitting drinking makes me feel powerful and strong. Hopefully you can feel some of that sense of empowerment in your sobriety. It’s not that you can’t drink, it’s that you chose not to because you are a boss.

Take it easy on yourself.

1 Like

No sorry about the ranting. Pain can be terribly all consuming. I hope you can get through this episode one breath at the time. picking up wont work in the end, it is neurotoxic so when it fades out the system will pick back up again. take care. You are not alone