Chronic Pain, Solutions? What worked for you?

How do we navagate physical pain without regressing back into addiction?

I injured my pelvis while pregnant 7 years ago, was misdiagnosed as a pulled groin muscle and put on pain meds. After months of physical therapy and pain increasing I started searching for other causes, of which we believe there are many. A perfect storm kinda deal. I became addicted with two littles under two I needed the medicine to care for them but with relationship issues and verbal abuse it bacame an emotional crutch as well. It took me years and spiralling into addiction of many substances to get where I am today, two years off heroin, almost a year off of cocaine, MDMA and Suboxone.
I now have a newborn to care for and find myself unable to do simple things that will need to be done once my partner returns to work. Im looking at having a metal plate attached to my pelvic bone for stabilization and some pain reduction but the fact is that I will always have pain and limited mobility. I’ve gained weight which isn’t helping, but to lose it I need to be active but it hurts to move so I sit too much to be burning calories it’s a neverending cycle.
I don’t have the patience I used to for my children ages 6 and 9, and I can’t keep the house up to my own standards. I am racked with guilt daily for not being enough for them and feel like I was only able to be the best mom I can be when I had medication to take away the pain so I was the me I was before the injury again rather than this frustrated suffering shell of my former self, I know that’s not possible and that there is no going back, forward is the only option but I’m terrified of using again, but tempted to make an appointment with the pain clinic to get some form of relief. I scared of the future as this progresses, how do I grow old with this ever increasing pain? How do I keep up with and care for this new baby who will soon be a toddler? Nevermind how I find a way to support myself so I don’t have to stay in this relationship should it turn abusive again. I’m struggling and can’t seem to find a path forward that doesn’t leave me suffering in some way. Send help!!

5 Likes

If you can’t deal with the pain on your own, I would make an appointment with the clinic but explain your problem with addiction. There’s a lot of different ways they can manage pain nowadays as far as injections like nerve blocks and such. I get epidural steroid injections in my lower spine like once a year to help manage herniated disc problem. Might help get you some relief

3 Likes

Thanks, I associate the pain clinic with opiates I appreciate the reminder that there are other alternatives. We’ve tried tramadol and gabapentin and I do get ultrasound guided injections into the nerve which does help a bit but there may be other options available. It’s a new facility and program too. I’m feeling overwhelmed with so much to be done and pain increasing, I can’t carry the baby across the house and he’s not getting any smaller. There has to be a solution other than me suffering as I am now daily. It’s unmanageable at this point so I guess it’s time to make the call and at least explore options.

2 Likes

if acupuncture is available for you I’d highly recommend it! also you tube has lots of low impact exercises that you can do, even if you do the exercises in bed if its too much to move around. starting slow can help gain confidence and mobility and you can gradually increase. also walks are the easiest and quickest way to get healthy. costs nothing and you can bring your kiddos and tire them out too!

3 Likes

I do pain management at my clinic. I have a lady who comes to our clinic that has significant ongoing neuro facial pain (trgeminal neuralgia) and the Neuro doc recommended Trileptal. Another neuroleptic med. It has helped her a good amount.

Swimming is the activity that i recommend often to my folks with pain syndromes who the treadmill, bike or similar activities tend to worsen their pain.

Lastly, is ablation of the nerve a potential? I know we’re all different people with different specific conditions. The placement of a fixation device in the pilvic girdle sounds no fun and the thought of being back on subs is likely scary as hell. But, if it meant the difference between daily life being tolerable and helped keep using thoughts/cravings and decrease pain without the euphoria be a no go again? I’m a fan of it as it has helped many even at a small dose of 2mg. Hugs and I do hope you get some relief soon.

3 Likes

This is such a great suggestion. Swimming / water supports us so well. I have been trying to convince my Mom to give the pool a try versus her usual walking which is causing her pain. Thanks for the reminder.

3 Likes

Hey :wave: I don’t have any pain recommendations aside from what the others have mentioned. I just wanted to say it sounds like with a newborn and your two other kids that you have you hands full! You are doing a great job with your sobriety, parenting is super hard after a baby, hormones are still settling, the family is adjusting. Don’t put too much pressure on yourself about the cleaning, you can only do so much :heartpulse:
I hope you can find some relief with your pain and the family are all enjoying your new baby x all the best.

2 Likes

Thanks for the information. I’ll definitely be asking about the medication you referenced as part of my pain is nerve related. No one has mentioned ablation of the nerve so I’ll bring that up as well. Swimming is wonderful but not an option part of the year as I can’t afford membership to any of the indoor pools in the area.

Being back on subs isn’t an option for me, when I first started them I had an allergic reaction in the form of welts and severe itching, we changed mode of delivery to pills rather than strips which helped but slowly my tests started showing less and less Suboxone levels and I felt awful all the time. I started dosing virtually so they could see I was taking the medication, I just wasn’t absorbing much at all, some tests showed none in my system at all. My Dr said she’d never seen that before. I was on 2 mg when we found out I was pregnant, I’d been dealing with the withdrawal type symptoms for a while as my levels dropped so I was given the option to simply stop with no danger to the baby.
I am grateful for your knowledge and advice :sparkles:

2 Likes

Thank you for your kindness, and the reminder that things can wait it’s just hard for me to handle things so chaotic. Getting the kids ready for example takes for ever because I can’t find anything. I’m very much an everything has a place type and rn nothing is in its place lol
We are enjoying his little self immensely I never expecte to have another, my oldest is 25!! my others were such sweet babies that I thought boy I’m pushing my luck with baby #4 odds arent exactly in my favor but he’s a sweetheart. Feeling blessed

2 Likes

I’ll have to look into acupuncture I live in a very rural area and I’m not sure it’s available but thanks for the suggestion. I used to love walking and hiking and do a little when warmer weather hits unfortunately it’s not a great option for me especially this time of year, but any movement is no movement looking forward to spring!!

2 Likes

I have dealt with chronic pain for almost 20 years. First thing I would like to say to you is congratulations on getting off heroin. Opiates including heroin and weed were my twin addictions. I am sorry you are suffering @ButItWasABeginning. Quickly, I was under the care of a pain management doctor for a herniated cervical disc. Progressed from epidural injections to opiods. When my job was outsourced and I lost my insurance I hit the streets. A bad bicycle wreck led to cervical disc fusion,deemed a failure so post surgery back on pain meds for 7 years until my physician retired leaving me high and dry. One thousand mgs of morphine didn’t end me like I’d wanted but got me to a 5 day stay at a state psych ward and to 28 days in a rehab facility. It worked! Been clean 323 days. Guess that wasn’t quick,sorry. My therapist treated my chronic pain with EMDR (eye movement desensitization and reprocessing) and gave me a tool that I use daily. Bilateral Stimulation Music. Here is a link to a couple.

There are many more free on YouTube . Go take a look. Chronic pain is hard af to deal with. I understand how you feel. I find meditation very helpful as well. Try to keep in mind that happiness or suffering depends on my response to conditions not on conditions themselves. Wish you all the best.

3 Likes

First of all I am so glad you are still here to share your journey and this wonderful advice. I more than appreciate your experience and suggestions. I didn’t mention the marijuana but I recently stopped using that too after almost 30 years of daily use. Keep pushing forward :sparkles: The world needs you :two_hearts:

2 Likes