Cleaning Out The Old For The New Year 2023🎉

I had a friend from Colombia who had said to me years ago, “It’s Colombian tradition that you must clean out the old clutter to make room for a good New Year!” The thought was that the old goes out the door with the old year. Today I have cleaned out my pantry and fridge. Then organized it for efficiency. In addiction, it would take me forever to get chores and projects done due to alcohol being the center of my universe. In sobriety, it gets done and I feel good!!!

Share what YOU have cleaned out and tossed away (or plan to) to make way for a fabulous sober New Year! This can include psychological and lifestyle changes too!!

15 Likes

I organized my holuday decorations and donated some, so i don’t have a much to store. I’m going to participate in a declutter challenge in Jan.
:unicorn:

6 Likes

Ooooo that sounds like a cool thread TS challenge too!! :wink: Lanie you should start one! I’d participate!
Good job on the ornaments! That’s my next tackle :smile:

3 Likes

I actually cleaned off my desk today,

Pictures of the disaster can be seen in a few threads, I downsized and considered getting rid of a few unused guitars and making room for new ones

4 Likes

Nniiccee! Workspace organization for a clear mind in 2023. Heckya I am all about that Chris!
I’m impressed about the guitars. I know how much your music means to you bravo :clap:

3 Likes

It was mostly my daughter’s work, but we cleared a lot of toys, pens that had nearly run out, and random crafts.

3 Likes

Especially vacuuming

4 Likes

Well, you are the one that taught this to me :wink:

2 Likes

I agree this is a great thing to do, I do this often.
I did this just before Xmas as I knew I may not of been in the right head space to do it. I must say it helped having it done especially on those days I didn’t even want to get out of bed … It helps your head space be clearer and life easier when things aren’t going to well.

3 Likes

Kitchen cupboards for me, i love the feeling i get when everything is clean and minimalist, Happy New Year

5 Likes

I need to learn this trick.

4 Likes

Physically i have recently cleaned out my dresser drawers. 3 of the drawers were being used for clothes (1 drawer was all the “thin” clothes i kept that were from my using and drinking days… dont ask why i kept them all. To this day im not sure), 2 were being used for random stuff that had no other place lol and 1 was for my hair and beauty stuff. I had procrastinated organizing it for awhile. Now… i have 3 drawers for clothes still (i put my old clothes in a box for now), 1 drawer for all my workout accessories and health books, 1 for beauty and hair stuff (which is organized with only the things i actually use), and one for prayer and recovery stuff.

Psychologically i want to get rid of the mental anguish that i cause myself when it comes to illness and homecare stuff for my son. It causes alot of distress and anxiety and worry. I really want to get rid of this, this year. I want to have a “go with the flow” attitude towards not having homecare for my son and having to do the shift myself. And for anxiety/worry over illness for my son, i want to have faith and trust in God that he will be taken care of no matter what happens.

My mantra for this year:
Thy will not mine be done :sparkling_heart:

5 Likes

It’s a never ending process.

2 Likes

I think it’s more with the guitars of well I don’t ever use these ones, so if I can sell them it makes room for new ones

Rinse repeat lol

My grandmother was very superstitious, so new years was always weird for me,

Like she would say don’t bring in the new years fighting with someone you’ll fight with them all year, I find that one kinda true

Don’t fo laundry on New Year’s Day, or clean cause you’ll be cleaning all year, this is bullshit, I do laundry and clean Year around anyways cause I can’t afford the maid brigade

4 Likes

I fumigated the house twice with incense to release all stagnated energy and clean the house from it. I love this ritual to let go of whatever harmed or stressed me during the year and invite fresh, good energy :pray:

2 Likes

Oooh this I haven’t done. I have sage incense this isn’t the same as smudging sage is it? Be good if it was but either way I am going to do this tomorrow thank you for the idea :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

You can use every sort of sage, it smells a bit different. I always use what I have at home and what I feel good and helpful about. Just listening to my gut :blush:

2 Likes