Cognitive behavioural therapy

Hi guys!

Hope all is well. I’m still sober coming up on 10months and smoke free for about the same time. That having been said, my anxiety and depression came backmpretty hard and while I didn’t feel like drinking or smoking, I did feel like that would change and I’d relaps, if I didn’t find a way to deal with my anxiety .

I quit using SMART recovery and for the first time I’ve not struggled to long trying to stay sober. As I mentioned earlier, my mind no longer goes to drinking or smoking in times of emotional upset. I should add that I think I have to be extra vigilant because of this…I’m concerned it will blindside me.

SMART recovery is based on CBT or cognitive behavioral therapy. The idea is that you can change how you feel by changing your behaviour in response to and thoughts about distressing events.
What’s great about SMART is that it’s workbooks give you a structured plan of action and homework to follow.

Anyhow, I just wanted to come back and share a room i found called BEACON CBT. It’s a web app that gives you a plan to follow to help manage anxiety and depression: leading causes of substance abuse.

https://beacon.anu.edu.au/service/website/view/338/2

If anyone has any questions about my experience with CBT based treatment, let me know!

7 Likes