Coming to the end of my 8th Day

I’ve made it the full week I’m feeling so proud but I’ve hit my first real stresser. I work outdoors landscaping gardening and at the weekend I hurt my arm and couldn’t do a few days and I went back at it today and I’ve ended up worse and I’ve pulled a muscle in my bicep and I’ve broken so many bones over the years and not felt pain like this.

I’m working for a family member and he’s not impressed at all, he knows I’m sober again and he knows I’ve put in all the effort and work by myself on the job I’m doing at a house but he’s just gone off on one and had a complete go at me and is acting as if I’ve done no work and left him high and dry.

It’s weird to say but I’m thankful that I am in so much pain physically with my arm because all I wanna do right now after him having a go at me is just go and have a drink and let off some steam. But because of the pain I don’t even want to drink. I’ve poured a cup of tea, take some anti inflammatories and I just needed to write something and get it out of my system.

I’ve also been to my doctor this week and had a good chat with her and I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was younger and was on medication but stopped out of a rebellious streak when I was about 15 (I’m 32 this year) and she’s referring me to see a psychiatrist and get to seeing if I am suitable to be treated for ADHD and also to get the ball rolling on starting some counselling too.

I guess I’m just weighing up all the positives compared to if all of this had blown up like it has now to if I was drinking. I wouldn’t have gone to work so I wouldn’t be in pain but I probably would be passed out, broke, have fallen out with people and be doing boring else but drinking and wallowing in my own self pity.

Even writing this now I’ve almost talked myself out of even feeling upset right now. I’m so grateful for this community and the stories I read I can relate to so much. Thank you guys. Here’s to waking up sober on day 9 :heart:

17 Likes

Sorry about the arm pain, hopefully you can give it a bit of a rest and time to heal up. It is hard when we make our living using body parts that aren’t working well…and hard to give our bodies the time needed to heal. On the plus…big congrats on your 8th day and coming here to vent. You are doing this and that is inspiring!! Keep at it!! :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Doing great things Gaz, proud of you! Hope your arm feels better very soon

4 Likes

I hope your arm heals quickly, and you should feel proud that you have 8 days a huge congratulations :fireworks::sparkler::fireworks::sparkler:
Sometimes people have their own stuff going on and hopefully tomorrow when you wake up sober and go into work next you will know not to take it personally, you tried your best and that maybe they just were having bad day.
Sometimes we think we are the problem when actually others are just having a hard time themselves.

Proud of you :sparkles:

3 Likes

Over my 40 years of landscaping ive had a few injuries comes with the job
retired now but still love gardening i also mentor guys who have young landscaping businesses , hope your Arm get better dont know if you have tried a meeting might help ,kept this old guy sober for a long time wish you well

4 Likes

Legend Gaz, glad you see the positives in it and have a great action plan.

2 Likes