Comming clean to my therapist

I have been drinking for 20 days straight, every morning i wake up and dont remember anything from the night before. I kind of dont give a fuck anymore but the thing is that it also hurts me that people take advantage of me being drunk… I have a appointment with my therapist at 12.30 and i will try to tell her but i think she will just say it is not bad and i choose to do this… She will be kind of right but it is nog so easy like she always says. I am trying but i keep getting back… I am really struggling but no one is seeing it, i try to tell people but they just say it is not bad or i am not trying hard enough. I have to get some serious help cuz this is not okey, i hope my therapist will listen

6 Likes

I’m only on day 3 again after a week long bender of drink and cocaine, I’ve tryed that many times, I guess I need more help but haven’t asked for it, keep trying don’t give up on yourself :muscle:

2 Likes

I really hope your therapist will not say ‘it’s not bad’ because it is. Your body won’t be able to handle abuse forever. It is a choice, but when the choice is between feeling tormented and taking a drink, you choose the drink. Have you tried AA, Smart or Recovery Dharma? I needed support, and meetings can be found anytime.

3 Likes

Be completely honest with your therapist about getting black-out drunk every night, its not healthy, as you are aware. ‘Secrets keep you sick’, and professionals can only truly help you if you’re completely honest with them. :people_hugging:🩵

1 Like

I wasted so much $ on having a therapist while I was still in active addiction. Regardless of what they say, there are so many options for sobriety support and recovery. Therapy is one of many tools I used to get and stay sober. And we are rooting for you, my friend. You can do this. And you deserve more than blacking out every night.

2 Likes

Hey Laura! I’m glad you are here and three days sober! What are you going to do differently this time to stay sober? What have you tried in the past?

1 Like

Just had my appointment, dont remember much about what we talked about but what i know wasnt that positive. Kind of felt like she didn’t believe me and was constantly attacking me. Dont think i am going back i will just go on like this and see what happened

1 Like

Unfortunately, every therapist isn’t gifted at their job. Perhaps look around for a therapist who specializes in substance abuse issues, make an appt and then be honest with them.

Reaching out here is also a good indication that you are ready to make some changes. Maybe try a meeting? And/or keep checking in on here for support. Having ‘us’ to lean on and gather support from can help. Hope you find a more helpful therapist.

3 Likes

She didn’t believe you were drinking like you are? Why on earth would anyone lie? Don’t go on like this. What will happen is broken phones, random bruises, vomiting, eventual liver disease. You owe it to yourself to try something. There are various programs, give any a shot.

2 Likes

Do you really not give a fuck?

1 Like

Hi. Don’t give up. Maybe try another therapist who knows addictions and find a meeting on Line, listen or feel free to share. You are not alone in this.

1 Like

I think it is very clear you need to fire this therapist. Heck, I’m not sure they should be in this profession at all

My personal opinion is to get yourself to a meeting. Therapy is a great tool that I think all people should take advantage of, but I think those with addictions need to get their support from others who have been through what they’ve been through.

YOU CAN DO IT!!

5 Likes

Therapist are a waste of time for drink problems , try a meeting or a 12 step program were people have walked in your shoes wish you well

2 Likes

You do give a fuck. Otherwise it wouldn’t hurt you. :thinking:

Your addiction is the voice that’s telling you that you don’t give a fuck. My addiction tries to do the same thing. Our addictions speak to us in these sneaky, manipulative voices, to create a space where they can get fed. The addiction wants to be fed.

You’re here posting about it on a sobriety forum, so part of you obviously wants to be sober. Right now you are at the beginning of a journey where you learn to strengthen your higher self and not feed your lower (addict) self.

Feed that higher part of you. You can feed it for free by reading or listening to the resources here - Resources for our recovery - or by joining one of the groups listed at that link.

Don’t give up.

1 Like

Is this what actually happened? Or just want you think happened? Yesterday when you posted you had already made up your mind that it was going to go poorly. And then it went poorly. Probably no therapist, counselor, program, anything will help you if you have it in your mind that it is going to go poorly.

As alcoholics its really easy for us to play the victim because it gives us the ability to not change a damn thing about our situation. But in reality we are ALWAYS the creator of our own demise. You went into your therapy appointment with the mindset that your therapist wouldn’t believe you, and that is exactly what say happened. Now you can blame your therapist rather than make some big (and often scary) changes.

7 Likes

This is exactly what i was thinking…we all give a fuck… we just want to not when we are in active addiction

1 Like

Yes I agree you do need some serious help. My advice is to go to your home doctor first and tell them about your drinking. Go ASAP. They can help you get professional help with your drinking. They can get you into a detox (I think you need one), hopefully followed by a longer clinical or polyclinical treatment for your addiction.

Going to a group of alcoholics or addicts or folks who have problems with alcohol and drugs (I don’t care what to call it) is also a good plan. AA, NA, Recovery Dharma, other forms of peer support, all good and very probably necessary. Find help!

Only when you’re sober it is useful going into therapy. The therapists I went to demanded of me that I was sober, otherwise they wouldn’t help me. And they’re right. Get sober first, do therapy then.

I’m glad you’re here friend. That tells me you do actually give a fuck, or you wouldn’t be here. This place helped me so much, even when people sometimes say the truth bluntly. We all want to help. Because we know what’s going on. Let us help. You’re not alone.

4 Likes