Community / Content Suggestions

After deciding to drink yesterday (after 3 months of sobriety) I would love any suggestions on your favorite content (Youtube channels, podcasts, etc) and online communities. Talking Sober is the only thing I am slightly involved with.

I am happy to report that last night was black out stupid and I feel like the normal poisoned hell today. It is like the universe is never going to let me enjoy drinking worthless ethanol … Of course I am not sure it is even possible to enjoy being poisoned… I did have fun with drinking at some point…didn’t I??? Thinking back and trying to remember all the so called “fun” and most of the time my fun was screwed up because of alcohol…

I’m not going to beat myself up and I am going to keep moving forward with a sober life Rant compleat.

Yes please any suggestions on Community / Content. The more info I put in my awesome brain, the better it performs.

7 Likes

One of my favorite podcast is called this past weekend with Theo von. He is a comedian and some of my favorite episodes are his solo episodes. He has such an interesting way of looking at the world and really makes me laugh and feel better. He also Is one of us. He struggles with addictions. Happy to hear you’re on the right track again. Hope things improve for you. Hope you can get to where you’re going. This place really is amazing. I take it for granted but the amount of love I feel from this community is indescribable

3 Likes

I put together a lot of resources here…alcohol / female centric …but you may find some nuggets to add to your journey…

5 Likes

the universe is never going to let me enjoy drinking worthless ethanol

Try the book ‘Alcoholics Anonymous’, aka the Big Book.

The idea that somehow, someday he will control and enjoy his drinking is the great obsession of every abnormal drinker. The persistence of this illusion is astonishing. Many pursue it into the gates of insanity or death.
page 30, emphasis added

3 Likes

Looking back I rarely find fun in my drinking times. I remember all the times I didn’t remember the previous nights or where bruises and cut came from, I remember being drunk by noon for 6 months straight after my mom passed, I remember the time I tore my ACL while drunk and on pills. I don’t remember fun though. I say all this to tell you drinking isn’t fun. What is fun is sobriety and what is there. Now I run, workout, hike, watch sunrises and sunsets, hang with my friend and have girl days, watch shows and movies I actually remember and much more.

I’m glad you won’t beat yourself up anymore because there isn’t a point to that. Take how you feel and remember that feeling next time you want to drink.

Podcast- I like It’s funny because it’s true by Elyse Myers
Crime Junkies
Unsolved murders
There all lots of sobriety podcasts out there as well. I think there may be a thread about that somewhere.

4 Likes

I listen regularly to Over the Influence podcast which is an AF community where they talk about all things soberiety and they have some great guests on to discuss their journey to becoming AF which i’m sure will resonant with a lot of people. The stories are very honest, emotional and also inspirational. Another podcast i listen to is Tribe Sober.

3 Likes

Got sober before podcast or utube was a word so i went to AA lots of AA books and tapes about wish you well

3 Likes

Love Elyse! Glad she is succeeding!

2 Likes

Agreed with this 100% What is even more astonishing is that I use to actually believe I was 100% controlling and enjoying it. The only thing that is so weird to me now is the fact that drinking is not socially in the same camp as cigarettes.

I am no scientist, more of a lab rat… The crap is addicting and always makes me feel like trash when Im done. Like a toxic ex that my loneliness wants to call at 2 am.

Daily brain training of truth is what has been working best so far. This new content will help keep it interesting and engaging so I stay at it and keep it fresh each day (like working out)

1 Like

I love that you are still involved. I think this is like working out… daily workouts keep one strong. Even daily walks make a huge difference.

I will do more to interact with others on the same path.

Thankyou, I am adding Over the Influence to my favorites today. :slight_smile: I will listen to it (for the first time) on my walk.

I used your advice and recorded a selfie video while I still had that poisoned, hole in my heart, post drinking emptiness. I have made a commitment to watch it if I ever get dopamine rush from the thought of the lie.

It’s funny because it’s true by Elyse Myers
Crime Junkies
Unsolved murders

I will listen to all of these as well. (haha you gals and your murder crime podcasts hahaha ) I have been a lot nicer to my wife after she became obsessed with True Crimes hahah

I have some nice Bose headphones that I use during the day to reprogram my mind. I believe true information is what has helped me come so far. Now I just need to involve myself with more community of people that are moving the same direction.

2 Likes

This is an amazing list!!! Thank you for sharing!! I know some people have been at this a lot longer than me so these suggestions are amazing in filtering out some of the best content.

1 Like

Check out Sonic Yogi, he has a course on Insight Timer on healing through sound frequency and it is amazing. Plus, his soundbaths (free, unlike courses) are very healing.

Ps…glad you like the lists!!

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion I love comedians . Also thank you for the encouraging words.

I spent 23 years sober and totally even forgot that I ever drank. Weird to say this but I actually thought it would save my marriage (I know that is crazy but is it truly what brought it back into my life)

Long story short - My wife never drank in her whole life (we married 20 years ago when I was 3 years sober). I never looked back until 2022

2022 she was 39 starting to seem (to me) unsatisfied with aging monotony… We live close enough to Vegas (she is still youthful and very beautiful) so I took her dancing and out a lot.

We started experimenting with some novel things in our intimate life… Like one night we even considered tantric massages… By the time we drove into Vegas valley, I had time to think about this and decided it would destroy our bond to have other people involved.

This next part will sound childish but it is what happened. As we drove into town I told her I would go get some “mood juice” that would make fun time better. She stayed at the hotel to get ready for the night, I headed out to find some love potion #9.

I did look for something natural but ended up getting some vodka and cranberry juice. She didn’t ask what it was and I didnt tell her. This happened several more times over the next few months and I did not even drink any till about the 4 time (when we went to a club in Vegas ) About April last year. By that time she knew.

By July she was ready to be done and thought it was highly overrated (likely because she had spent 39 years sober) She drank with me a few more time (last time was in November for her).

My last time (other than Friday night) was on New Years.

It is just wild to me that my addicted brain can block out the truth that it is not even fun and for real makes me so sick.

Anyways, I am journaling in my comment here but it is helping me to process so thanks :slight_smile:

To sum up how I feel today: I cant even see myself thinking drinking has any benefit whatsoever … With that said, I thought this same way until a few days before Friday… For me daily work on this is still obviously required.

It seemed to happen as I was just going through the motions of a daily podcast (not as engaged mentally) because I thought I was fine.

I think staying engaged in this and other communities is key to staying mentally fit (just like normal exercise). I mean I never reach for twinkies after a good gym workout (they are not even appealing). Making friends at a gym, motivating others is a fantastic way to stay consistently strong.

Thanks angain for your comments and recommending Theo Von. Im going to watch him now :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The Sober Awkward podcast is great. I also enjoy following celebrities that have taken the path of recovery. Eminem, Mackelmore, Robert Downey Jr. are a few. Thanks for starting this thread, its a good one!

2 Likes

Im all about this stuff. Going to add Sonic Yogi now. :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you like that kind of energy, I think you will love him. Especially with good headphones. He really tuned me in to the healing nature of sound / energy. Enjoy!!!

1 Like