Completely unscientific study of relapsing

I ticked yes, but not since joining the forum.

Basically two years ago I decided on my birthday (tomorrow) that I wanted to take a year off drinking. I made it about 35 days (15 of them doing whole30 with work buddies…no one was drinking) then we had a cast party and all the Whole30ers decided they’d drink that night and then stop. Everyone including me just kept drinking after that. Drank all through 2017, hit rock bottom on 12/27/17 and made the choice that I would quit for good in 2018…1/2/18 is my sober day. I feel blessed to be coming up on one year.

3 Likes

I relapsed something like 5 times before this attempt. Joined TS when I was already 45 days or so sober and haven’t looked back. I’ve had 1 period of 6 months sobriety before this foray into being sober.

6 Likes

Yes, but not since joining TS.

I found and creeped the forum for a couple days at the end of my last relapse. Years of drinking myself to sleep everyday. Before that I half-assed the help I sought and got maybe 2-3 months sober. Before that I dried out for Lent every year until I didn’t.

Something flipped after reading others’ experience here. I threw out “my way.” I joined and decided I’d give an honest shot at whatever was working for others.

Everyone here helped me at one point or another. Today I have over four months sober and no desire to drink, so thanks for that. Tomorrow isn’t here yet.

9 Likes

This! Almost everything you said is so me with regards to the forum.

I joined when I wasn’t ready to give up on my way that wasn’t working. Thanks to the patience and acceptance of everybody, and all the posts that convinced me that people really did have understanding and good intentions when giving advice, I was able to turn around. I needed help/time to learn how to open my ears so that the tough love could have the intended effect instead of hitting a brick wall I didn’t realize I put up.

4 Likes

I knew I needed to quit - but I loved to drink. I thought I could quietly clutch that bottle to my grave. I came in, looked around, and three days later some things happened that made it clear to this drunk that it had to end. Reset and said howdy to y’all.

When I’m sober at 10:00pm it will be eight months today.

18 Likes

Hurray, Holly!

1 Like

Congrats on the 8 months! :clap:t3:

1 Like

Ticked no havnt had any reason to , keep on trucking

5 Likes

I first joined TS Dec 6th, 2016. I’ve had a few mini-relapses and 2 full blown back to serious drinking relapses. The mini ones were from romaticizing alcohol and feeling like I was missing out on something but it would be just a drink or 2 one day and back at it. The big relapses were because I was too embarrassed or ashamed to admit that I had a real problem and therefor couldn’t ask for help when I was struggling. I WON’T do that this time. This time has to be the winner.

2 Likes

Eight months of getting better at getting better!

1 Like

I’m a chronic relapser. 20 resets in the past six months.