Concerts & Other Fun Stuff...Sober?

Hey all! So I’m on Day 2 again after a long hiatus of "screw it " and I’m back with some renewed thoughts, reasons, ways to handle differently this time, etc.
I have a concert coming up next week (The Eagles!) And I dont know how to do a concert sober. I’m going to do it but the old thoughts are creeping in today saying it’ll be boring with out a few (8) drinks etc. What are some tips to help? I’m sure once it starts I’ll he fine, it’s the before part I’m 2nd guessing.
In general, these thoughts are creeping in today about other less important events. Doing everything in my power to kick them away today.

I went to a concert at about 7 months sober. I went with a group from AA and only stayed as long as I was comfortable. At a week sober I wouldn’t have gone. Some things just aren’t worth the risk. I can do pretty much anything I want these days, but I choose not to. Testing my sobriety is like train dodging. I will probably win most times, but it’s that one time I don’t that will probably kill me.

2 Likes

I should mention that I still do a ton of fun shit and absolutely enjoy life to the fullest.

2 Likes

I bought the tickets back in January and they are not cheap, and this is a bucket list concert. I’m going with my mom and sisters, and they drink but not to the point I do. I think I’ll opt out of going anywhere prior to the concert, because that’s my downfall. (Drinks are ridiculously priced at this venue so I usually would get drunk before the concert so as to not buy too much if anything, there.)

I went to a concert, Flogging Molly and Dropkick Murphy’s (Irish/Celtic punk), on day 1. Talk about the ultimate test, I mean, day 1, I could have easily postponed, but i didnt and I had a hell of a time. And the best part, I remember every detail of every song they played.

Here’s the trick. Once you realize that whatever you enjoyed while drinking, you CAN enjoy sober, and however you act while drinking, you CAN act sober, it makes it so much easier. If that makes sense.

4 Likes

The Eagles are amazing in concert. Do they have a replacement for Glenn Frey? I don’t think I could ever see them again without him…I’d be in tears the whole show. But I loved Glenn Frey so much.

Anyways, I managed an entire music festival sober about a year ago. The trick is to order that coke or club soda or whatever right away before your brain starts trying to convince you that you really should get the beer instead. Once you’ve ordered, paid, and are holding it in your hand it is soooo much easier to resist.

2 Likes

I went out to a gig on my own although I had been sober a bit longer. For me driving helped keep me sober. And when I was there I danced and danced and danced some more.

Other general tips… Have a plan of what you will drink. If you’re going with your family ask if they will keep you accountable. When you are there focus on every second and then feel even better knowing that you will remember it all and bounce out of bed feeling well rested with a clear head!

If you feel like you want to leave early just leave. If you’re giving people a lift then wait it out in the carpark. If you want to keep your sobriety then that’s worth missing a bit of a gig for!

1 Like

I actually dread concerts when I know I’ll be drinking. Basically I get blackout and don’t remember most of the performance, then feel like garbage the whole next day. The best concerts I’ve been to are ones where I am sober. The last concert I went to I barely remembered by the end, and I have one coming up next weekend that I can’t wait for sober. I think it’s good to ask why you really feel the need to drink at it? Will it really enhance the performance experience for you?

2 Likes

My boyfriend took me to go see Journey and Def Leppard for my birthday. I was sober at the time and literally had the best time. I saw almost everyone around me drinking and by the end of the concert 99% of them were so drunk they were being sloppy and I doubt will remember the concert. plus I’m sure they felt like shit the next day. If it helps, most times the price of the alcoholic drinks are outrageous so that helped me, there was no way I was paying $15 for a twisted tea. I didn’t even want to pay $5 for a damn water. So that might help you. But I had the best time, I remember the concert, I was totally in the moment (I don’t do the whole video picture thing, I’d rather just enjoy it when I’m there). It was the second time i went to a concert sober, the first was third eye blind. We went to dinner before hand and the venue was smaller and more intimate so it was a lot more difficult to resist but I was happy i did. I had a great time both times. you can do this!!

2 Likes

Yeah his son replaced him! I love them. My parents listened to them while I was growing up.

No, it won’t and you’re absolutely right! I have been the same way in the past. I get blackout, or close.
Last time, I got lost during an intermission and couldnt find my seat and missed practically the whole last half of the concert.
It’s also dangerous. Our concert venue in Milwaukee is very high and steep. One misstep can injure or kill you.

1 Like

Thank you! I fully intend to. I’ve never done one sober so this will be a new experience for me! Also, I paid too much for tickets to NOT remember it :wink:

2 Likes