Confrontation

Had a horrible experience at work the other day when a got into a verbal argument with a coworker. It’s not the first time that this has happened. I’m quick to anger, and holding those emotions back, so I don’t end up raising my voice and throwing things across the room causes me significant emotional distress. I ended the day with a panic attack, and took the next day off because I was still so affected that I was in a constant anxious panicked state of mind that I couldn’t stop shaking and my appetite was gone. How can I grow out of this and keep myself level headed? I’m really struggling with this because my goal is to become a manager in the next couple years, but I don’t know if I can do that if I’m so affected by frustration, anger and confrontation.

7 Likes

I’m extremely nonconfrontational. I don’t like yelling or being angry or in any situation that causes me to ruminate after. It just feels awful. Idk how far along in your sober journey you are, but I know my anxiety peaked around 4-6 months. Granted it was the most stressful time of the work year and we had a horrible new boss demanding the world of us. I was having panic attacks and could hardly eat most of the summer. I did some yoga and breathing which helped but I think it was mostly getting used to dealing with issues without running to alcohol. That’s how I dealt with everything and never learned ways to handle every situation. Understanding that you can’t control what others do/say but you can control your actions/reactions. If there’s an issue now, I make sure to take a breath and really think before I react, or do nothing at all if that’s what’s best for the moment. Idk if this helps at all but I do understand what you’re going thru. Be patient with yourself and stay the course :muscle:

3 Likes

I definitely agree that meditation should help. I’m should try doing it more regularly. And will definitely have to talk about this with a therapist. I’m at 28 days. I feel like some past trauma just screws up my fight/flight/freeze response. I just get so mad that I dissociate and have a panic attack.

1 Like

Have you tried “box breathing?” As the situation unfolds - disengage (you know the feelings coming), and give yourself a moment to practice this breathing technique; it might help center and calm you.

2 Likes

Have you looked in to anger management classes or anger management therapy? Or even anger management groups?

I know a few inviduals that really benefited from those things.

3 Likes

Looking into that now, actually, :laughing:

3 Likes